Converting Temperature Coefficients to ppm/(deg C) Made Simple

• Thread starter KillerZ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses converting a temperature coefficient from A/(deg C) to ppm/(deg C) for a simple current mirror made of BJTs. The value of 0.000000059 A/(deg C) was found and it was determined that it needs to be divided by the nominal current of 100uA and multiplied by 10^6 to get a temperature coefficient of 594.88 ppm/deg C. The conversation also mentions the missing components in the current mirror that could affect its temperature coefficient.
KillerZ
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I am wondering how to convert to ppm/(deg C). I have a temperature coefficient I found and I am trying to convert the number to ppm/(deg C). The number I have is 0.000000059 A/(deg C) so do I just multiply it by 10^6 which gives me 0.059 ppm/(deg C). Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
KillerZ said:
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this. I am wondering how to convert to ppm/(deg C). I have a temperature coefficient I found and I am trying to convert the number to ppm/(deg C). The number I have is 0.000000059 A/(deg C) so do I just multiply it by 10^6 which gives me 0.059 ppm/(deg C). Is this correct?

That looks right. What's the "A" mean?

The A is amps.

KillerZ said:
The A is amps.

That's different then. You need to reference this change to the nominal value, in order to reference it as ppm.

Like, if the nominal current is 1A, and that is the tempco, then your previous calculation is right. But if the nominal current is 2A, then the tempco in ppm is less.

What is the nominal current that you want to reference, in order to express the tempco as ppm instead of an absolute number? What is the application?

I have a simple current mirror made of BJTs and the output current needs to be 100uA and I am trying to balance a resistors positive temperature coefficient (1060 ppm) with the negative temperature coefficient of the BJTs to temperature compensate it. I am sure that the fractional temperature coefficient I found of 0.000000059 A/(deg C) is correct. So I guess the nominal current would be the 100uA.

JCCpg.png

Iref = 100uA
R = 43K

[tex]\frac{dIref}{dT} = \frac{1}{R}\frac{dR}{dT}(Iref) + \frac{1}{R}\frac{dVbe}{dT}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dIref}{dT} = (1060 ppm/deg C)(100uA) + \frac{1}{43K}(-2mV/deg C)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dIref}{dT} = 0.000000059 A/(deg C)[/tex]

Last edited:
KillerZ said:
I have a simple current mirror made of BJTs and the output current needs to be 100uA and I am trying to balance a resistors positive temperature coefficient (1060 ppm) with the negative temperature coefficient of the BJTs to temperature compensate it. I am sure that the fractional temperature coefficient I found of 0.000000059 A/(deg C) is correct. So I guess the nominal current would be the 100uA.

JCCpg.png

"fractional temperature coefficient I found of 0.000000059 A/(deg C)"

Where did you find this? It seems very low to me, but maybe I'm not calibrated yet.

Also, your current mirror is missing something important (well, two matching things). I would think it would have a much worse tempco without the missing bits...

I updated the previous post but it must have happened after you replied:

Iref = 100uA
R = 43K

[tex]\frac{dIref}{dT} = \frac{1}{R}\frac{dR}{dT}(Iref) + \frac{1}{R}\frac{dVbe}{dT}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dIref}{dT} = (1060 ppm/deg C)(100uA) + \frac{1}{43K}(-2mV/deg C)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dIref}{dT} = 0.000000059 A/(deg C)[/tex]

I think I might have figured it out. This value 0.000000059 A/(deg C) needs to be divided by 100uA then multiplied by 10^6 which would give me a temperature coefficient of 594.88 ppm/deg C. 0.000000059 A/(deg C) is only dIref/dT. Because temp co of a resistor is (dR/dT)(1/R)(10^6) ppm/deg C then (dIref/dT)(1/Iout)(10^6) ppm/deg C.

Last edited:

Related to Converting Temperature Coefficients to ppm/(deg C) Made Simple

What is a simple conversion question?

A simple conversion question is a type of question that requires converting one unit of measurement or value into another. This can involve converting between different measurement systems (such as metric and imperial) or between related units within the same system (such as meters to centimeters).

Why are simple conversion questions important?

Simple conversion questions are important because they allow us to accurately and efficiently communicate and compare measurements. They are especially useful in fields such as science, engineering, and mathematics.

What are some common types of simple conversion questions?

Common types of simple conversion questions include converting length, weight, volume, time, and temperature. For example, converting miles to kilometers, pounds to kilograms, liters to milliliters, hours to minutes, and Fahrenheit to Celsius.

How do I solve a simple conversion question?

To solve a simple conversion question, you first need to identify the units you are converting from and to. Then, you can use conversion factors (such as conversion tables or formulas) to convert between the units. It is important to pay attention to the unit labels and to cancel out any units that appear on both sides of the equation.

What are some tips for solving simple conversion questions?

Some tips for solving simple conversion questions include practicing commonly used conversion factors, memorizing conversion formulas, and double-checking your work to ensure the correct units are included in the final answer. It can also be helpful to use visual aids, such as diagrams or charts, to better understand the conversion process.