Thevenin equivalent of resistor only circuit

• Engineering
  • Thread starter bpatyk2
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find thevenin equivalent of resistor circuit

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This may be a dumb question, but does a thevenin equivalent NEED to have a voltage source? On my final exam there was a question that asked for the thevenin equivalent of a circuit that was only resistors. Finding the thevenin resistance was no problem so I just put that resistance in series with a 0V voltage source. Can the thevenin equivalent be just a resistor?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Hm ... I think in practical terms it's pretty meaningless to call a resistor network reduced down to one resistor a "Thevenin equivalent" but I suppose technically it is.

Yeah that's kinda why I don't see why that type of circuit would be used on an exam to ask for a thevenin equivalent circuit. If there was even one type of independent or dependent source involved i could see the point, but there was none.

donpacino
Gold Member
The Thevian equivalent circuit is used for giving simple values to complex circuits.

There are many situations where you are going to find the equivalent resistance of a circuit using the thevian theorem, such as finding a circuits input resistance, output resistance, and load. In all of those cases, there will not be any voltage sources on the circuit.

I see your point. However, that is pretty common. Think of it as a circuit with 0 V (independent) source.

Hey,thevinin voltage across which two point? Is it across a resistor? Or any resistor in the network?
I think the question lacks clarity