1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin equivalent of resistor only circuit

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find thevenin equivalent of resistor circuit

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This may be a dumb question, but does a thevenin equivalent NEED to have a voltage source? On my final exam there was a question that asked for the thevenin equivalent of a circuit that was only resistors. Finding the thevenin resistance was no problem so I just put that resistance in series with a 0V voltage source. Can the thevenin equivalent be just a resistor?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hm ... I think in practical terms it's pretty meaningless to call a resistor network reduced down to one resistor a "Thevenin equivalent" but I suppose technically it is.

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    Yeah that's kinda why I don't see why that type of circuit would be used on an exam to ask for a thevenin equivalent circuit. If there was even one type of independent or dependent source involved i could see the point, but there was none.

5. Jun 26, 2014 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

The Thevian equivalent circuit is used for giving simple values to complex circuits.

There are many situations where you are going to find the equivalent resistance of a circuit using the thevian theorem, such as finding a circuits input resistance, output resistance, and load. In all of those cases, there will not be any voltage sources on the circuit.

6. Jun 26, 2014 #5
    I see your point. However, that is pretty common. Think of it as a circuit with 0 V (independent) source.

7. Jun 28, 2014 #6
    Hey,thevinin voltage across which two point? Is it across a resistor? Or any resistor in the network?
    I think the question lacks clarity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted