Convex Lens Image: Solve Problem & Describe Image

In summary, the conversation is about completing a problem on locating an image for a convex lens. The person is having trouble with the problem and asks for help. They then mention attaching a picture of the lens and their answer, and discuss the characteristics of the image, such as whether it is real or virtual, upright or inverted, and its magnification. They also suggest looking in an optics book and mention that the problem is graphical. The final response states that the image is real, inverted, and magnified.
Alain12345
I have to complete a problem about locating an image for a convex lens but I'm having trouble with it. I tried it out, but I can't complete it. Can someone help please?

Locate the image for the convex lens below. Use any two rays to do so. Give the characteristics of the image.

I'm having trouble particularly with describing the image. I'll attach the picture of the lens and my answer to it.

Attachments

• Convex lens question.JPG
    Convex lens question.JPG
    1.6 KB · Views: 393
  • Convex lens question- my answer.JPG
    Convex lens question- my answer.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
you need to work out the focal length of the lense, try looking in an optics book.

Is the image real or virtual? Is it upright or inverted? How much larger is it than the object?

NEWO said:
you need to work out the focal length of the lense,

No, it's a graphical problem. The first diagram shows the focal points and the location of the object, so he has enough information to locate the image, which he did in the second diagram.

All he has to do now is describe the key characteristics of the image. Usually this means saying whether it's real or virtual; upright or inverted; enlarged or reduced in size. Maybe calculate the numerical value of the magnification by measuring the sizes of the object and image.

okay, thanks a lot guys.

So it's real, inverted, and M>1

1. What is a convex lens?

A convex lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is curved outward on both sides and can converge or focus light rays passing through it.

2. How does a convex lens form an image?

A convex lens forms an image by refracting or bending light rays that pass through it. The curved shape of the lens causes the light rays to converge at a point, creating a sharp and inverted image.

3. How do you solve problems related to convex lens images?

To solve problems related to convex lens images, you need to use the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the lens, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance. You also need to know the magnification formula: M = -di/do.

4. What factors affect the image formed by a convex lens?

The factors that affect the image formed by a convex lens include the focal length of the lens, the distance of the object from the lens, and the size of the object. These factors can change the position, size, and orientation of the image.

5. How would you describe the image formed by a convex lens?

The image formed by a convex lens is usually inverted, meaning it is upside down compared to the object. It is also typically smaller than the object, unless the object is placed very close to the lens. The image is also real, meaning it can be projected onto a screen, and it is usually magnified or reduced depending on the distance of the object from the lens.