Solving Convexity of Open Disc Problem in Complex Plane

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disc
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the convexity of an open disc in the complex plane using geometry and the triangle inequality. The key idea is to show that the line segment from any two points on the circle is contained in the circle, which can be proven analytically.
e(ho0n3
[SOLVED] Convexity of Open Disc

I'm trying to prove that the open disc in the complex plane given by D = {z : |z - w| < r} is convex.

Let p and q be two points in D. The line segment from p to q is L = {(1 - t)p + tq : 0 <= t <= 1}. Let u be a point an arbitrary point on this segment. If I can show that |u - w| < r, I'm done.

This is essentially a geometry problem. There's probably a proposition in Euclid's Elements that the line segment from any two points on the circle is contained in the circle. How do you show this analytically though?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the triangle inequality on w(t)=|(1-t)p+tq|. The result is a linear function in t. |w(0)|=|p|<=1 and |w(1)|=|q|<=1. Hence?

Using the triangle inequality is a great idea:

|p| - |w| < |p - w| < r so |p| < r + |w|. Similarly |q| < r + |w|.

|(1 - t)p + tq - w| <= (1 - t)|p| + t|q| + |w| < (1 - t)(r + |w|) + t(r + |w|) + |w| = r + 2|w| so (1 - t)|p| + t|q| - |w| < r.

However, since (1 - t)|p| + t|q| - |w| <= |(1 - t)p + tq - w|, I don't know if the latter is greater than r.

I can how my first reply could be a little difficult to digest. I was taking w=0 and r=1 and not telling you that. Furthermore I meant to define u(t)=p(1-t)+qt to fit in with your notation better. Let's try that again. u(t)-w=(p-w)(1-t)+(q-w)t, right? So |u(t)-w|<=|p-w|(1-t)+|q-w|t. Can you finish it from there?

Ah, I see. Writing u(t)-w as (p-w)(1-t)+(q-w)t is the right idea. It never occurred to me. From then on, it trivially follows that |u - w| < r. Thanks a lot.

1. What is the definition of a convex open disc?

A convex open disc is a subset of a plane that is bounded by a circle and contains all points within the circle. This means that for any two points within the disc, the line segment connecting them is also contained within the disc.

2. How is the convexity of an open disc different from a closed disc?

A closed disc includes its boundary, which is the circle, while an open disc does not. This means that for a closed disc, the boundary points are also considered part of the disc, while for an open disc, they are not. This difference affects the convexity of the disc, as a closed disc is always convex, while an open disc may not be convex depending on its boundaries.

3. Is a convex open disc always symmetric?

No, a convex open disc is not always symmetric. While the center of the disc is always equidistant from all points on the boundary, the boundary itself does not have to be symmetric. For example, an ellipse can be a convex open disc, but it is not symmetrical.

4. How is the convexity of an open disc related to its curvature?

The convexity of an open disc is directly related to its curvature. A disc with a higher curvature will be more convex, while a disc with a lower curvature will be less convex. This is because a higher curvature indicates a sharper change in direction, which creates a more convex shape.

5. Can an open disc be both convex and concave?

No, an open disc cannot be both convex and concave. By definition, a convex shape is one that bulges outward, while a concave shape indents inward. An open disc is either convex or non-convex, but it cannot be both at the same time.