Sketch g with Matlab: Convolution of 3cos(10pi t) & delta(t+1/10)

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with convolving a function in Matlab and being directed to a helpful webpage with sample code. They express difficulty with the code and ask for someone to show them how to write it.
O.J.

Homework Statement

Sketch this function in matlab

g = 3cos (10pi t) convolved with delta(t+1/10)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need the full code to do it as an example so that I can follow up easily. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The "Similar Threads" section at the bottom of pages on this website frequently contain helpful information. For instance, this one:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=298691

There's also this page, which might be of some interest to you:
http://www.eece.unm.edu/signals/signals/Discrete_Convolution/discrete_convolution.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Believe me, I've gone throught those two pages before I post this. I have the second link even bookmarked. It still didnt help me. Can some1 just show me how the code should be written?

O.J. said:
Believe me, I've gone throught those two pages before I post this. I have the second link even bookmarked. It still didnt help me. Can some1 just show me how the code should be written?

Well, there's sample code at the bottom of that second link. The first part (of the snippet) is establishing the functions, the stuff in the middle is the actual convolution (note how short it is), and the last bit is displaying the results.

1. What is convolution in Matlab?

In Matlab, convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is used to determine the output of a system when given an input.

2. How do I perform convolution in Matlab?

To perform convolution in Matlab, you can use the conv function. For example, if you want to convolve two functions f and g, the command would be conv(f, g).

3. What is the difference between continuous and discrete convolution?

Continuous convolution is used for continuous-time signals, while discrete convolution is used for discrete-time signals. In Matlab, the conv function automatically determines which type of convolution to use based on the input signals.

4. What is the significance of 3cos(10pi t) & delta(t+1/10) in convolution?

3cos(10pi t) and delta(t+1/10) are two functions that are being convolved. The first function, 3cos(10pi t), represents a continuous-time signal with a frequency of 10pi. The second function, delta(t+1/10), represents a discrete-time signal with a delay of 1/10.

5. How can convolution be used in scientific research?

Convolution is a powerful tool in scientific research as it can help analyze and understand the behavior of systems. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis to extract meaningful information from complex data sets.