Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution of delta function

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1

zai

for linear time invariant system,
    y(t)=h(t)*x(t) where y(t) is the output , x(t) is the input and h(t) is the impulse response.(* is the convolution)

The definition of convolution is
    y(t)=integration from -infinity to +infinity (h(tau)x(t-tau)d(tau)

p/s: i don't know how to use mathematical equation inhere. just joining the group

i know that if h(t) =delta(t) then y(t)=x(t).

now here comes my confusion, if h(t)=f(t)delta(t), then what is y(t)?
    can anybody give me any ideas?

thanks for the help.

zai

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2
  4. Oct 11, 2007 #3

zai

Thank you for the reply. For this particular property i knew it already. my question is if
    f(t)=[x(t).y(t)]*z(t) and y(t) is a delta function. How do i solve this problem?

Zai

5. Oct 11, 2007 #4

What happens when you multiply a function by a delta function?

What is [tex] x(t)\delta(t) [/tex] equal to? Thinking about this graphically may help.

6. Oct 11, 2007 #5
    if delta(t) = 1 for t = 0,1,2,3 and 0 for else
    then,
    you get x(t) for t = 0,1,2,3 which is also a delta(t) function.

7. Oct 16, 2007 #6

zai

Dear Frogpad,
    thank you for the reply. As far as i know if [tex] x(t)\delta(t) [/tex], the answer is x(t) at t=0, i.e x(0). isn't it? So, do we need to consider x(0) as a constant convolve with z(t) then? it doesn't seem right to me.

zai

8. Oct 19, 2007 #7
    Hi Zai,

I'm a bit late with my answer.

"i know that if h(t) =delta(t) then y(t)=x(t)."
    Actually it is x(0) because of one of the delta function properties:

integration from -infinity to +infinity (delta(t-tau)f(t)dt) = f(tau).

Convolution of a function f(t) with a delta distribution moves the function to the point (in time) where the delta impulse takes place.

I guess your hole integration becomes:
    y(t)=integration from -infinity to +infinity (f(tau)delta(tau)x(t-tau)d(tau)

You could use the product rule of integration and use the convention that the integral over the delta distribution is the Heaviside Step function Theta.

Now you have:
    Theta(tau) f(tau) x(t-tau) - int(Theta(tau) [f(tau)x(t-tau)]' d tau
    where ' is the derivative. Usually the derivative of f(tau)x(t-tau) should be easily to obtain by product rule again.

You could also use the Laplace transform and your convolution becomes a multiplication. There are tables with often used formulas and possibly you can find one with f(t) delta(t). Afterward you have to transform it back in the time domain again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?