Understanding Coordinate Basis in Wald's GR

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a coordinate basis in Wald's GR and the use of the operator ∂/x^{n} as a tangent vector. The conversation also touches on the relationship between dx^{m} and ∂/∂x^{n}, which is defined by δ^{m}_{n}. The definition of d and how it relates to vector fields is also discussed. The conversation concludes with a tip on where to post questions and the clarification that the confusion in the conversation stems from a definition.
cpsinkule
In Wald's GR he makes use of a coordinate basis consisting of ∂/∂x[itex]^{n}[/itex] where n runs over the coordinates, and I understand his argument that ∂f/∂x[itex]^{n}[/itex] are tangent vectors, but I can't wrap my head around the operator ∂/x[itex]^{n}[/itex] spanning a tangent space of a manifold. Any clarification on this would be appreciated. He also states that dx[itex]^{m}[/itex]∂/∂x[itex]^{n}[/itex]=δ[itex]^{m}[/itex][itex]_{n}[/itex], but I don't see how this is true, either. I know fully well that for them to be a basis of the dual and vector space respectively they must satisfy that condition, but I don't see how he arrives at that. Is it just by definition that dx∂/∂x=δ?

Physics news on Phys.org
##dx^\mu## is a 1-form, i.e. a cotangent vector field, so it associates a cotangent vector ##(dx^\mu)_p## which each point p in its domain. This cotangent vector is such that
$$(dx^\mu)_p(v)=v(x^\mu)$$ for all tangent vectors v at p. This is just the definition of d. The right-hand side can be evaluated by expanding v in the basis ##\left\{\left.\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \right|_p\right\}##.

If X is a vector field, ##dx^\mu(X)## is a map from a subset of the manifold into ℝ. For each p in that set, we have
$$dx^\mu(X)(p) =(dx^\mu)_p X_p=X_p(x^\mu).$$ The first equality holds just because ##dx^\mu## is a 1-form, and the second is the definition of d. What do you get when you insert ##X=\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}## into this formula?

I think the best answer to the question of why the vector space spanned by ##\left\{\left.\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu} \right|_p\right\}## is called "the tangent space at p" is that this vector space is isomorphic to a vector space whose members can be interpreted as tangent vectors in a natural way. See this post.

A tip for the next time: If you're asking about something that looks like a textbook problem, post in one of the homework forums. If you're asking a general question like this, which doesn't look like a textbook problem, post in the appropriate math forum. In this case, that would be "topology & geometry".

Which part in theorem 2.2.1 do you not understand?

The other thing you are confused about is indeed by definition. See the remark in brackets at the end of page 21.

1. What is Coordinate Basis in Wald's GR?

Coordinate Basis in Wald's GR refers to a set of basis vectors used to describe the spacetime geometry in General Relativity. These basis vectors are typically chosen to be orthogonal and have a specific orientation, and they are used to construct a coordinate system for measuring distances and angles in spacetime.

2. Why is Coordinate Basis important in General Relativity?

Coordinate Basis is important in General Relativity because it allows us to describe the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of matter and energy within it. By choosing an appropriate coordinate basis, we can calculate important quantities such as the metric tensor and the Christoffel symbols, which are used to solve Einstein's field equations.

3. How is Coordinate Basis different from other coordinate systems?

Unlike other coordinate systems, Coordinate Basis in Wald's GR is not necessarily fixed or absolute. It can vary depending on the observer and the gravitational field being studied. Additionally, the basis vectors may not always be orthogonal, and their orientation can change as the observer moves through spacetime.

4. Can Coordinate Basis be used in any spacetime?

Yes, Coordinate Basis can be used in any spacetime, including those with non-trivial curvature. However, the basis vectors and their orientation may need to be adjusted in order to accurately describe the geometry of the spacetime being studied. In some cases, multiple coordinate bases may be needed to fully describe the spacetime.

5. How do we choose a Coordinate Basis in Wald's GR?

The choice of Coordinate Basis in Wald's GR is not unique and can vary depending on the specific situation or problem at hand. Often, a set of basis vectors that are adapted to the symmetries of the spacetime is chosen. In other cases, a basis may be selected to simplify the mathematical calculations involved in solving the field equations.