Explore Coordinate Dependent Statements in Orodruin's Insight

In summary, Orodruin's Insight explores coordinate dependent statements in an expanding universe. It looks pretty interesting. About three pages in it reads "expanding ##x^a## to second order in ##\xi^\mu## generally leads to$$x^a=e_\mu^a\xi^\mu+c_{\mu\nu}^a\xi^\mu\xi^\nu+\mathcal{O}_3$$where we have introduced the notation ##\mathcal{O}_n## for terms that are of order three [##n##?] or higher in the coordinates. I don't know why one would expand ##x^a## like that.
George Keeling
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Peculiar Coordinate conversion in Orodruin's Insight "Explore Coordinate Dependent Statements in an Expanding Universe"
I am studying @Orodruin's Insight "Explore Coordinate Dependent Statements in an Expanding Universe". It looks pretty interesting. About three pages in it reads "expanding ##x^a## to second order in ##\xi^\mu## generally leads to$$
x^a=e_\mu^a\xi^\mu+c_{\mu\nu}^a\xi^\mu\xi^\nu+\mathcal{O}_3
$$where we have introduced the notation ##\mathcal{O}_n## for terms that are of order three [##n##?] or higher in the coordinates." I don't know why one would expand ##x^a## like that.

##x^a## are general curved coordinates, ##\xi^\mu## are local Minkowski coordinates at some point ##p##. ##e_\mu## are orthonormal vectors at ##p## in the ##\xi^\mu## system. They might be basis vectors, I am not sure. ##e_\mu^a## are the coordinates of ##e_\mu## in the ##x^a## system. ##c_{\mu\nu}^a## is a mysterious thing to be discovered. It turns out to be not a tensor but more like a Christoffel symbol. I think. We are also told earlier that $$
e_\mu^a=\frac{\partial x^a}{\partial\xi^\mu}
$$so the first part of the first equation is $$
x^a=\frac{\partial x^a}{\partial\xi^\mu}\xi^\mu
$$which is just the tensor transformation law.

Where does the first equation come from and why don't we use the ordinary tensor transformation equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##\underline{u}_{\mu}## denote a tetrad, i.e., four orthonormal vectors (in the sense of the Lorentzian metric) with the ##\xi_{\mu}## Gaussian coordinates at a spacetime point. The ##e_{\mu}^a## are the components of the ##\mu##-th tetrad vector wrt. the holonomous basis defined by the coordinates ##x^a##.

Likes George Keeling
George Keeling said:
Where does the first equation come from and why don't we use the ordinary tensor transformation equation?
Because ##x^a## are general curved coordinates, not tensor components. In general coordinates, differentials of coordinates are tensors but coordinates are not.

The first equation is, in effect, the first few terms of a Taylor series.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and George Keeling
DrGreg said:
Because ##x^a## are general curved coordinates, not tensor components.
I realized that last night o:). Luckily I didn't get up. It is the second time in as many weeks that I have tripped up on the T T equation!
DrGreg said:
The first equation is, in effect, the first few terms of a Taylor series.
I had some old notes on the Taylor series for a function of two variables and, when extended to four, it works for an expansion at the origin and gives Orodruin's equation perfectly 💡. Thank you!

To remember the Taylor expansion in multiple coordinates note that you can write it in terms of the operator exponential function as
$$f(\vec{x}+\vec{a})=\exp(a^j \partial_j) f(\vec{x}).$$
Now just Taylor expand the exp and note that all ##\partial_j## commute with each other (in the appropriate domain of these differential operators of course ;-)):
$$\exp(a^j \partial_j) = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} (a^j \partial_j)^k = \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} a^{j_1} \partial_{j_1} \cdots a^{j_k}\partial_k.$$
Then the Taylor series around ##\vec{x}## reads [Edit in view of #6]
$$f(\vec{x}+\vec{a})=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k!} a^{j_1} \cdots a^{j_k} \partial_{j_1} \cdots \partial_{j_k} f(\vec{x}).$$

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes hutchphd, George Keeling and etotheipi
I guess the last equation under
vanhees71 said:
Then the Taylor series around ##\vec{x}## reads
should have less brackets on the left and more arrows on the right:$$
f\left(\vec{x}+\vec{a}\right)=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{k!}a^{j_1}\cdots a^{j_k}\partial_{j_1}\cdots\partial_{j_k}f\left(\vec{x}\right)}
$$I expanded the ##k=2## term in that for two dimensions and it came out just like my old notes on the Taylor series for a function of two variables. My notes improve. Thank you!
PS I originally found the expansion on math.libretexts.org. It's at equation (6) there.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Orodruin's Insight?

Orodruin's Insight is a research project that explores the use of coordinate dependent statements in scientific analysis. It is a tool that allows scientists to analyze data in a more nuanced and precise way by taking into account the specific coordinates of the data points.

2. How does Orodruin's Insight work?

Orodruin's Insight uses advanced algorithms and mathematical models to analyze data points based on their coordinates. It takes into account the relationships between data points and their coordinates to provide a more accurate analysis.

3. What are coordinate dependent statements?

Coordinate dependent statements are scientific statements that take into account the specific coordinates of data points. They allow for a more precise analysis of data by considering the relationships between data points and their coordinates.

4. What are the benefits of using Orodruin's Insight?

Orodruin's Insight can provide a more accurate and nuanced analysis of data by considering the specific coordinates of data points. This can lead to new insights and discoveries in scientific research.

5. How can Orodruin's Insight be used in scientific research?

Orodruin's Insight can be used in a variety of scientific fields, such as astronomy, geology, and biology. It can help researchers analyze data more accurately and make new discoveries by taking into account the relationships between data points and their coordinates.