Coordinate transformation matrix?

In summary, an orthogonal transformation matrix is defined as one where the product of any two entries in the same row and column is equal to the Kronecker delta. The inverse of this matrix is equal to its transpose, meaning that the product of the matrix and its transpose results in an identity matrix. This can be shown by using the notation A_{i,j} to represent the entry in row i column j of a matrix and working through small examples.
Will_C
Can anyone tell me:
1) How to understand the defination to orthogonal transformation matrix?
Defination: A(i,j)A(k,j)=q(i,k) where q is Kronecker delta.
2) Why the inverse of this orthogonal matrix is equal to its transpose?

Will.

Physics news on Phys.org
In short if we want to find the pq'th entry of a product of matrices then

[tex](AB)_{p,q}= \sum_r A_{p,r}B_{r,q}:=A_{p,r}B_{r,q}[/tex]

the convention being that when ever we see a repeated index we sum.

What does A(i,j)A(k,j) mean? well the (k,j)th entry of A is the jk'th entry in A transpose, so what you've written is the same as (AA^t)(i,k) and states that

"the ik'th entry of AA^t is 1 if i=k, and zero otherwise"#

which is exactly what it means to be the identity matrix.

Thus 1 and 2 are exactly the same thing.

Excuse me, matt grime,
I am not quite understand what you mentioned above.
Would you mind make it simply or explain it more?
BTW, I don't know how to input math symbol (such as summation sign, subscript...) in the thread.

Thx,
Will.

Let's try and see where the problem is:

Have you met the notation that

[tex]A_{i,j}[/tex]

is the entry in row i column j of a matrix?

cick on the maths to see how to typeset it.

Did you try and work through some small examples, such as 2x2 matrices to see how this notation does indeed show how they multiply together?

If A and B are 2x2 matrices then, as we all know,

[tex](AB)_{1,1} = A_{1,1}B_{1,1} + A_{1,2}B_{2,1}[/tex]

which is exactly what I wrote with the summation sign. You've done summation signs right?

Then entry in row i column j of A^t is the same as the entry in row j column i of A.

Do you see that?

Related to Coordinate transformation matrix?

1. What is a coordinate transformation matrix?

A coordinate transformation matrix is a mathematical tool used to convert coordinates from one coordinate system to another. It is often used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to represent transformations between different coordinate systems, such as Cartesian, polar, or spherical coordinates.

2. How do you create a coordinate transformation matrix?

To create a coordinate transformation matrix, you will need to know the transformation equations between the two coordinate systems. Then, you can use these equations to construct a matrix that will allow you to convert coordinates from one system to another. The size and elements of the matrix will depend on the number of dimensions in the coordinate systems.

3. What is the purpose of a coordinate transformation matrix?

The purpose of a coordinate transformation matrix is to simplify the process of converting coordinates from one system to another. It allows scientists and engineers to easily perform calculations and analyze data in different coordinate systems, without having to manually convert each coordinate.

4. Can a coordinate transformation matrix be used for 3D transformations?

Yes, a coordinate transformation matrix can be used for 3D transformations. In fact, it is often used in 3D graphics and computer graphics to convert coordinates between different 3D coordinate systems, such as Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to using a coordinate transformation matrix?

While coordinate transformation matrices are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. They assume that the transformation between coordinate systems is linear, which may not always be the case. Additionally, they can be computationally intensive for large datasets or complex transformations. In these cases, other methods, such as numerical integration, may be more appropriate.