Coordination Chemistry and Complexes

In summary, according to the electron configuration of Mn^0, the complex would be [Ar]3d^5 4s^2. Mn^2+, Mn^7+, and Mn^9+ all have an e config of [Ar], so the 5 pairs of electrons would go into the empty orbitals. For Mn^0, the 4s orbital would be empty, so the 5 pairs of electrons would not be occupied.
anap40
The Question
a)If manganese reacts with CO and PH3 ligands to form a stable, tricarbonyl 5 coordinate complex, what manganese oxidation state and charge for the complex can be expected? Why?

b)If the complex is diamagnetic how is manganese hybridized and what is the geometry of the complex?

c)The stability of this complex should increase if PH3 Ligands are replaced with PF3 ligands. Why?What I know

For part a the complex should be called tricarbonyldiphosphinemanganese(II?)
It is a Mn surrounded by 3 CO and 2 PH3 and the C's and P's are bonded to the Mn.

For Part A)
I think the oxidation state should be 2 but only because that is what Mn normally is.For Part B)
My guess is sp3d hybridized with a trigonal bipyramidal shape.
I only say this because that is the shape and hybridization of a molcule w/ 5 atoms bonded to it. Is there anything different that needs to be done when considering coordination complexes?

For Part C)
I really don't know why PF3 ligands would make it more stable, my only guess would be that F is much more electronegative so would stabilize the electron density better.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anap40 said:
The Question
a)If manganese reacts with CO and PH3 ligands to form a stable, tricarbonyl 5 coordinate complex, what manganese oxidation state and charge for the complex can be expected? Why?

b)If the complex is diamagnetic how is manganese hybridized and what is the geometry of the complex?

It does say diamagnetic. All electrons are paired. Are all the electrons paired in Mn+2? Start by writing the electronic configuration for [tex]Mn^0[/tex]

c)The stability of this complex should increase if PH3 Ligands are replaced with PF3 ligands. Why?
Why would the electronegativity of F 'stabilize the electron density better'?

Ok I figured out part c.
It has to do with the F being more electronegative than H so on PF3 the electron density around P is lower which allows more back bonding to occur.

I am still not sure how to do part a, examples in the book that asked for oxidation state give the charge of the complex. If I can get the oxidation state in part a, I should be able to do part b.

Thanks.

Write out the electron configuration of [tex]Mn^0[/tex] and all of the known ions of Mn. Then put 2 electrons in the empty orbitals (from the ligands) and see which ion gives a completely electron-paired result.

Ok, but should I assume that for part a it is diamagnetic, because it adds that in part b.
Does being diamagnetic have any effect on stability?Correct me if I am wrong on the following:
For Mn^0, isn't the e config [Ar]3d^5 4s^2 with all 5 of the d electrons unpaired?

Then for Mn^2+, the e config is [Ar] 3d^5 because the 4s electrons will be lost since they are at a higher quantum level. Again, all the d electrons are unpaired.

Then for Mn^7+, the e config is [Ar], so there are 5 empty d orbitals which can bond w/ the 5 ligands.(Does it matter that the 4s orbital is empty? I'm guessing it doesn't)I appreciate the help.

You're getting there. If it were not diamagnetic, where would the 5 pairs of electrons go? What energy levels (orbitals) would they occupy if it were paramagnetic?

1. What is coordination chemistry?

Coordination chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of coordination compounds, which are molecules that consist of a central metal ion or atom surrounded by a group of ligands. These ligands are typically molecules or ions that have at least one lone pair of electrons and can bond with the metal through coordinate covalent bonds.

2. What are ligands?

Ligands are molecules or ions that have at least one lone pair of electrons and can bond with a metal ion or atom through coordinate covalent bonds. They are responsible for forming coordination complexes and can vary in their size, shape, and charge.

3. What is a coordination number?

A coordination number is the number of ligands attached to a central metal ion or atom in a coordination complex. It is determined by counting the number of bonds between the metal and the ligands.

4. How does the coordination number affect the properties of a coordination complex?

The coordination number can affect the geometry, color, stability, and reactivity of a coordination complex. Different coordination numbers can result in different structures and properties due to the varying number and arrangement of ligands around the central metal ion or atom.

5. What are chelating ligands?

Chelating ligands are molecules or ions that have multiple binding sites and can form multiple bonds with a single metal ion or atom. This results in a more stable coordination complex compared to complexes formed with monodentate ligands. Examples of chelating ligands include ethylenediamine and EDTA.