Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Copper wires are more conductive than aluminium wires?

1. Sep 19, 2007 #1
    Why do they say that copper wires are more conductor than aluminium wires?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Copper conducts electricity better than Aluminium, it has a lower resistance - that is less energy is converted into heat when passing the same amount of electricity through a Copper than Al wire.

4. Sep 24, 2007 #3
    1 dm^3 of copper has less resistance than 1 dm^2 of Al.
    1 Kg of Cu has more resistance than 1 Kg of Al.
    1 $ of Cu has about the same resistance than 1 $ of Al. ( at prices when the books I read were written )

5. Sep 29, 2007 #4
    The quantity you need to pay attention to is resistivity. As mgb points out it gives you a lower resistance for copper when compared to the same quantity of aluminum. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but aluminum wire requires about 50% more cross-sectional area to carry the same current as copper. If you are familiar with wire gauges, aluminum must be 2 gauges larger than copper. The great problem is that wire heats up when carrying current (I^2R losses) and aluminum expands much more than copper, thus loosening connections. Furthermore, aluminum oxide forms quite easily and is very non-conducting. My house originally had aluminum wiring due to the high price of copper when the Chilean copper mines were shut down in the early 1970s. After 2 fires, I had the house rewired with copper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?