Cosine theorem and maclaurin expansion

In summary, the conversation is about an exercise in a book of optics that asks to apply the law of cosines in Young's double slit experiment. The person finds the first part easy but struggles with the second part, which requires a Mac Laurin expansion. They are unsure of the argument for the expansion and have tried expanding for ##\frac{r_2}{r_1}## and using ##a/r_1## as the argument, but have not been successful. The expert provides the correct approach, stating that the book is expanding in powers of ##a/r_1## and that the quadratic term inside the parentheses cannot be dropped before expanding to get the second-order term correctly.
Telemachus
Hi. I have a doubt about an exercise in a book of optics. It's about Youngs double slit experiment. The exercise asks to apply the law of cosines. That part was easy, you can see in the diagram, alpha is the complementary angle for theta, it goes straight forward.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57806&stc=1&d=1365793381.png

What I got is this expresion:

##\frac{r_2}{r_1}=\left (1-\frac{2a}{r_1}\sin \theta+\frac{a^2}{r_1^2}\right )^{1/2}##

This is in agreement with the book.

But then the book asks to make a Mac Laurin expansion for this expresion. And the thing is I don't realize what is the argument for the expansion, the book gets:

##r_2=r_1-a\sin \theta+\frac{a^2}{2r_1}\cos^2 \theta+...##

I don't know how the books gets that. At first I thought the argument was theta, but when I tried the expansion I got something more involved than that. I've tried the expansion for ##\frac{r_2}{r_1}##

##\left ( \frac{r_2}{r_1} \right )_{=0}=\left (1+ \left (\frac{a}{r_1}\right )^2 \right )^2##

The first derivative:

##\left ( \frac{d\frac{r_1}{r_2}}{d\theta}\right )_0 =-\frac{a}{(r_1^2+a^2)^{1/2}}##

Then I thought of using ##a/r_1## as the argument, which is approx zero in the far field, but I think that would give pure sines in the expansion.

Help please.

Attachments

• young.png
    young.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
The book's expanding in powers of ##a/r_1##. To get the second-order term correctly, you can't drop the quadratic term inside the parentheses before expanding, which is what you seem to be doing.

Last edited:
Thank you!

1. What is the Cosine Theorem?

The Cosine Theorem, also known as the Law of Cosines, is a mathematical relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle. It states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, minus twice the product of those two sides and the cosine of the included angle.

2. How is the Cosine Theorem used in real-life applications?

The Cosine Theorem has many practical applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. It is used to calculate distances, angles, and forces in various structures and systems. For example, it can be used to determine the distance between two points on a map or to calculate the tension in a cable supporting a bridge.

3. What is the Maclaurin Expansion?

The Maclaurin Expansion, also known as the Maclaurin Series, is a way of representing a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is similar to the more well-known Taylor Series, but the Maclaurin Expansion is specifically used to approximate a function at a specific value, usually 0. It is named after mathematician Colin Maclaurin who first discovered it.

4. How is the Maclaurin Expansion used in calculus?

The Maclaurin Expansion is used in calculus to approximate complex functions that are difficult to integrate or differentiate. By breaking down a function into simpler terms, it becomes easier to manipulate and analyze. This can be useful in solving problems involving limits, derivatives, and integrals.

5. What is the difference between the Cosine Theorem and the Maclaurin Expansion?

The Cosine Theorem and the Maclaurin Expansion are two different mathematical concepts. The Cosine Theorem is a geometric relationship between the sides and angles of a triangle, while the Maclaurin Expansion is a method of representing a function as an infinite sum of terms. They are used for different purposes and have different applications in mathematics and other fields.