Cosmic Ray Flux Rates - 10^16-10^21 eV

• Thread starter Urvabara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ray
In summary, the conversation discusses cosmic ray flux rates on Earth and the arrival rates of particles at different energy levels. It also mentions two resources for further information on cosmic rays and particle physics. The conversation concludes with a discussion about obtaining a journal article on the topic.
Urvabara
Hi!

I know these cosmic ray flux rates on Earth:
10^{16} eV: the arrival rate is one particle per square meter per year.
10^{19} eV: the arrival rate is one particle per square kilometer per year.
10^{20} eV: the arrival rate is one particle per square kilometer per century.

What are the flux rates of
a) 10^{17} eV showers?
b) 10^{18} eV showers?
a) 10^{21} eV showers?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! Anyone out there?

Look up the review article by Simpson entitled "Elemental and Isotopic Composition of Galactic Cosmic Rays" Ann. Rev. Nucl. Part. Sci. 1983, 33 (323-81)

or the book by TK Gaisser "Cosmic Rays and Particle Physics."

I just don't have time to search through them and convert them to the units you are interested in.

Ok. Thanks!

Can someone send me http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev.ns.33.120183.001543" ? I do not have access, although I use the Jyväskylä University internet connection.

My email address is henri(dot)heinonen(at)mbnet(dot)fi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your library has a copy of the journal. (you can find it here:https://jykdok.linneanet.fi/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=1&ti=1,1&LANGUAGE=English&Search%5FArg=Annual%20review%20of%20nuclear%20and%20particle%20science&Search%5FCode=JALL&CNT=25&PID=5460&SEQ=20070207003205&SID=1" ) I don't speak whatever language that is (Finnish?) but that is the correct journal as far as I can tell.

Go to library and ask for the correct volume and they will find it for you I am sure. Your library probably doesn't have a electronic subscription.

(Note: In general it is not a good idea to ask people to send you copyrighted material over the internet.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is Finnish.

Ok. Thanks!

1. What are cosmic rays?

Cosmic rays are high-energy particles (such as protons, neutrons, and electrons) that originate from outer space and travel at near-light speeds. They are constantly bombarding Earth from all directions.

2. What are the flux rates of cosmic rays in the range of 10^16-10^21 eV?

Flux rates refer to the number of cosmic rays that pass through a certain area per unit of time. In the range of 10^16-10^21 eV, the flux rates of cosmic rays are typically measured in units of particles per square meter per second.

3. Why is measuring cosmic ray flux rates important?

Measuring cosmic ray flux rates can provide valuable information about the origins and properties of these high-energy particles. They can also help us better understand the structure and dynamics of our universe.

4. How are cosmic ray flux rates measured?

Cosmic ray flux rates can be measured using various instruments, such as ground-based detectors, satellites, and even high-altitude balloons. These instruments detect the particles and record their energies and arrival times, which can then be used to calculate the flux rates.

5. What is the significance of the 10^16-10^21 eV range in cosmic ray flux rates?

This energy range is known as the "knee" of the cosmic ray spectrum, where the flux rates start to decrease rapidly with increasing energy. Understanding the behavior of cosmic ray flux rates in this range can provide insight into the acceleration mechanisms and sources of cosmic rays.