Cosmologists: Share Degrees, PhDs & Rivalries

• Thread starter CosmicDream
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person introducing themselves as an up and coming cosmologist and inquiring about the education of other theoretical astrophysicists/cosmologists present on a forum. The person mentions their own education, a double major in math and astrophysics and a PhD from MIT in cosmology. There is also a discussion about privacy considerations and possibly finding the information through profile pages on the forum.
CosmicDream
I'm not sure that this is the right spot for this, but I am a ( I like to think) an up and coming cosmologist. I assume that there are some theoretical astrophysicists/cosmologists present on this forum, and I wish to inquire as to your education. Namely, what degrees do you have, what did you do your PhD in and where, and so on. Of course, this is just professional curiosity, but also some element of rivalry ;)

For example, I double majored in math and astrophysics, and then got a PhD from MIT in cosmology.

Likes BvU and Arman777
Physics news on Phys.org
CosmicDream said:
I'm not sure that this is the right spot for this, but I am a ( I like to think) an up and coming cosmologist. I assume that there are some theoretical astrophysicists/cosmologists present on this forum, and I wish to inquire as to your education. Namely, what degrees do you have, what did you do your PhD in and where, and so on. Of course, this is just professional curiosity, but also some element of rivalry ;)

For example, I double majored in math and astrophysics, and then got a PhD from MIT in cosmology.
Welcome to the forum. Generally, asking for other people's personal information is a no-no on PF but maybe your request will pass. I suggest you read the forum rules since this is one forum where the rules are actually observed. Usually.

CosmicDream said:

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

So in line with the privacy considerations that phinds mentions, you can look through the threads in the Cosmology forum to see who the regular members are there, and then click into their Profile pages to see if they've posted some of the information that you're interested in. Some folks do fill out the Information tab on their Profile pages, and others do not. It would be inappropriate to send a Private Message to a member asking for that information, but if they have already posted the information themselves in their Profile, then they are obviously comfortable with you reading the info.

CosmicDream said:
I double majored in math and astrophysics, and then got a PhD from MIT in cosmology.
Impressive credentials, BTW. :smile:

Ahh ok. Alright then, if it passes, then all good. If not, then oh well. Thanks for replying.

CosmicDream said:
Ahh ok. Alright then, if it passes, then all good. If not, then oh well. Thanks for replying.
If what passes?

berkeman said:
If what passes?
I think he's replying to my statement that his request might pass.

Related to Cosmologists: Share Degrees, PhDs & Rivalries

1. What is a cosmologist?

A cosmologist is a scientist who studies the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. They use a variety of scientific disciplines, such as physics, astronomy, and mathematics, to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern our universe.

2. What degrees do cosmologists typically hold?

Cosmologists typically hold a PhD in physics, astronomy, or a related field. Some may also have undergraduate or graduate degrees in mathematics, computer science, or engineering.

3. How long does it take to become a cosmologist?

Becoming a cosmologist typically takes at least 8-10 years of post-secondary education. This includes a 4-year bachelor's degree, 2-3 years for a master's degree, and 3-5 years for a PhD. However, the exact length of time may vary depending on individual circumstances.

4. Are there any rivalries among cosmologists?

Like in any field, there may be some competition or disagreements among cosmologists, especially when it comes to different theories and ideas about the universe. However, the field of cosmology is largely collaborative and researchers often work together to advance our understanding of the universe.

5. What are some current areas of research in cosmology?

Some current areas of research in cosmology include the study of dark matter and dark energy, cosmic inflation, the origins of the universe, and the search for exoplanets and potential signs of extraterrestrial life. Cosmologists are also using advanced technologies such as telescopes and supercomputers to gather and analyze data from the far reaches of the universe.