Could a Machine Magnetize Cast Iron Parts More Than Steel?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter sophiecentaur
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Iron Steel
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Messages
30,594
Reaction score
7,548
Does it seem reasonable that a machine which has, up until now, been used for machining steel parts without, apparently, leaving them magnetised could be causing low level magnetisation of the same parts when made of cast iron? There are some DC currents flowing in the machine, apparently but suspect that they've not been high enough to magnetise the steel bits.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Could be.

Stainless steel does not magnetize (depending on Ni content).
If the process of machining cast iron happens around 770'C magnetization can occur.

Why are there DC currents flowing through the machine?
 
Lok said:
Could be.

Stainless steel does not magnetize (depending on Ni content).
If the process of machining cast iron happens around 770'C magnetization can occur.

Why are there DC currents flowing through the machine?

I don't think it gets this hot in this machine but I'll enquire.
This isn't stainless steel that I'm comparing it with.
The DC, I think, is in the drive motors. This is a huge machine making car engine parts but I only know of the problem second hand.
 
sophiecentaur said:
I don't think it gets this hot in this machine but I'll enquire.
This isn't stainless steel that I'm comparing it with.
The DC, I think, is in the drive motors. This is a huge machine making car engine parts but I only know of the problem second hand.

Machining is a very hot process at least where the metal is cut, that is why they use cooling liquid. What type of machining does it do?

Fix the DC (safety first) and then see if it Cast Iron gets magnetized. Cast Iron has 2.1-4% in carbon, so it is easily magnetized.