Could Dark Energy be Dark Matter cooling?

1. Hi Clever People,

I've been watching an amazing program about dark matter, dark energy and dark flow. I thought there were questions that should have been asked, but then I'm a website designer - what do I know!

So... as an interested non-physicist, my apologies if this question is ridiculous...

If Dark Energy is what is causing the 'empty' regions of deep space to expand / accelerate, could it be due to Dark Matter cooling down? Or heating up? Or perhaps even multiplying - like cell-division?

I mean, if we're not quite sure what Dark Matter is except that it behaves totally differently from anything else, could it behave as above?

2. jcsd
  3. mathman

mathman 6,653
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your idea is completely far out. Dark matter is stuff and it is manifest by gravitational effect only. Dark energy is a complete mystery - accelerating the expansion of the universe.

4. Dark energy is also called the cosmological CONSTANT...it is a constant is all frames of reference and so cannot be heat energy....you might gain an understanding of this by reading about the Unruh effect...
    how Einstein figured out it is a constant I don't know, but there seems to be general agreement it IS a constant....

You might find some interesting reading here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

Of course, most of the time most physicsts have over history been proven WRONG....as new theories are developed and tested....so who knows...

5. How certain are we that the cosmological constant is the same in all regions of space? In other words, is it possible that this "dark flow" that's recently been in the news is related to part of the universe expanding faster than neighboring regions? It seems logical to me that if there was inflation in the early universe then there is the possibility that regions of space are still undergoing inflation although these regions may be beyond our observable universe.

6. PhanthomJay

PhanthomJay 6,284
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now I was led to believe, perhaps mistakenly, about 10 years ago, as proposed, I think, by the M-Brane theorists, that Dark Matter (or Dark Energy, which is just a different manifestation of dark matter, per E=mc^2) was a result of ultra high frequency short wave gravity waves escaping, thru the miniscule (in the order of the Planck length) higher order spatial dimensions of spacetime, from matter of another parallel universe. Is Brane Theory (M-Theory) dead??

7. mathman

mathman 6,653
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dark energy is not a manifestation of dark matter. Even calling it energy is misleading. It seems to be related to the cosmological constant. Einstein made it up as a fudge factor to keep the universe static - which people believed at the time. He later called it his biggest blunder after the expansion of the universe was discovered.

8. PhanthomJay

PhanthomJay 6,284
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what do you call the energy equivalence of dark matter, per E=mc^2??

9. Calling it Dark Matter is misleading, it would be better named 'missing matter'. Our current theories of gravity do not hold up with the current mass in the universe. So either our theories of gravity are incorrect, or there is 10 times the amount of matter in the universe then there appears to be. Obviously we aren't going to go back the the drawing board with gravitational theories, so abracadabra, dark matter.

In other words there is no 'dark matter' we don't know what we're missing and we just call it dark matter.

So you can't actually have statistics or theories for it, since we haven't discovered it.

10. PhanthomJay

PhanthomJay 6,284
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't care if you call it dark matter or missing matter, I'm just wondering if some clever physicist has coined the term for the energy equivalence of the 'missing' matter , per E=mc^2, if in fact, the dark matter has mass (does it?) and obeys the laws of Physics (does it?).

11. mathman

mathman 6,653
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dark matter has mass - that is about all we know. It is detectable by its effect on galaxies and galaxy clusters.

12. PhanthomJay

PhanthomJay 6,284
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So if it has mass, it has energy, assuming it obeys the Universal Law of Physics, as we know it. Maybe we don't know if it obeys these laws? If it does, maybe i'll coin a word for it and become famous. Incidentally, is dark energy the latest catchword foo what used to be called 'vacuum' energy?

13. Dark energy looks suspiciously like inflation generated by all those mysterious particles spotaneously popping out of quantum foam uncertainties.

14. We do not 'know' dark matter has mass. We 'know' that there is a unexplainable force causing more gravity then the known mass acounts for. Really it is much more likely that our theories on gravity are wrong then an invisible all powerful 'mass'-ive force holding the universe together.

That sounds more religious then science, but the human race has a tendency to make up stuff when they can't explain what they see. That is where dark matter comes from, the human imagination. So asking if the imaginary mass has energy has a very simple answer: It has imaginary energy!

All this energy comes from unicorns that live in an invisible planet made of dark matter.

Ain't science great!!?

15. mathman

mathman 6,653
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since there is no evidence (except what may be happening inside black holes) that general relativity is wrong, your assertion seems less likely than the existence of dark matter, particularly since astronomers seem to be able to get a picture of its distribution.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  16. Umm.... What is your evidence that my invisible unicorn theory is wrong?

17. Actually, we know a bit more about dark matter. It doesn't have pressure (i.e. it doesn't interact electromagnetically), and it concentrates around galaxies. Different gallaxies have different percentage of dark matter content, so there definitely is something around we don't see - not just our theories are wrong.
    So, when we already have started to measure dark matter density, it is not very wise to claim it was created by imaginary unicorns.

About dark energy - we don't even know whether the universe is accelerating or slowing down! Our guessing is based on supernova theories (we don't know if they are correct) and actual experiments are so few, that saying anything about the Universe shape is way too soon.
    The only thing we know - galaxies are red-shifted. Anything else is just imaginary unicorns. We don't know the relation between distance and red shift, because we can't determine neither.

So, don't get depressed. We can bake almost any theory about Universe geometry and no one can proove us wrong yet :).

18. Ich

Ich 1,931
    Science Advisor

Come on. Somehow you missed the last 80 years?
    There's SN1a, WMAP, BAO, nucleogenesis... all of which give independent evidence for a coherent picture. It's not like LCDM depends on a single, poorly understood observation.

19. Janus

Janus 2,453
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are vastly understating the body of evidence that exists in support of the dark matter model.

It's not as if nobody has tried to come up with alternative theory of gravity to explain it, it just that every promising one has been shot down by new observation that can't be made to fit. The DM model has not been shot down by these new observations which is why it still survives.(in fact, each new observation seems to increase the likely-hood of its being correct)

20. JcX

JcX 5

The idea of dark matter comes from mathematical model of gravitational force.
    Scientist suggests that there must be matter that we don't see in our universe, maybe between galaxies that exert the gravitational effects that we feel.
    The content/percentage of dark matter is chosen to fit and balance all the gravitational effects that has been observed in the universe (expansion of universe, perturbation of orbits, etc).
    We predicted the existence of them, but we can't be really sure of what dark matter is.

Some theories such one those who suggest multi-dimensional universe says that dark matter is actually some matters in other universe. String Theory says that only gravitons are able to escape from the membrane of the dimension, hence only gravitational forces are able to penetrate between dimensions. Living in this dimension, we can feel the gravitational effects from other dimension, but we don't see them, that's why we called them Dark Matter.
    That's one of the explanation that I liked a lot... although...... it's hard to imagine.

21. All our calculations of distance are based on supernova theories. All this "acceleration" may as well be an error in our understanding of star dynamics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?