Coulomb's Law: Solving for Speed of Particle

In summary, the problem involves a fixed particle with a charge of 6 µC and a released particle with a charge of 8 µC and a mass of 3x10^-6 kg. Using Coulomb's law and Newton's second law, the acceleration of the second particle was determined to be 73469 m/s^2. However, to find its speed when it is very far away from the first particle, conservation of energy needs to be applied since the acceleration is not constant.
SupremeV
1. The problem statement, all variables given/known data

A particle of charge 6 µC is held fixed while another particle of charge 8 µC is released
from rest at a distance of 1.4 m from the first particle. If the mass of the second particle is
3x10-6 kg, what is its speed when it is very far away from the first particle?

Homework Equations

F=ma
F= kQ1Q2 / r2
V2=Vo +2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I pretty much worked through most the problem. In the end, I used coulomb's law in combination with Newtons 2nd law to get a= 73469 m/s2. However what's bugging me is the distance that the speed is "very far away". I'm under the assumption that means at a point where the force from the first particle no longer affects the second. However, when I back-tracked using the answer(454m/s) the distance ends up being 1.4( the original distance) with the velocity equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apologies, I searched google and found a similar problem: rocket is launched straight up from the Earth's surface at a speed of 1.60×10^4 m/s.
What is its speed when it is very far away from the earth?

One of the helpers suggested conservation of energy, and I applied this to this problem it worked! Sorry!

You do realize that the acceleration is not constant? It decreases as the distance between the particles grows. So your V2 = Vo + 2ad formula is not valid over the trajectory of the second particle.

Why not try a conservation of energy approach?

Related to Coulomb's Law: Solving for Speed of Particle

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law used to solve for the speed of a particle?

Coulomb's Law can be used to solve for the speed of a particle by setting the electrostatic force equal to the centripetal force. This equation can then be rearranged to solve for the speed of the particle.

3. What is the relationship between charge and speed in Coulomb's Law?

The relationship between charge and speed in Coulomb's Law is indirect. As the charge of a particle increases, the electrostatic force between two particles also increases, which in turn increases the centripetal force and therefore the speed of the particle.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to solve for the speed of a particle in any scenario?

No, Coulomb's Law can only be used to solve for the speed of a particle in a circular motion where the centripetal force is equal to the electrostatic force between two charged particles.

5. What are the units of measurement used in Coulomb's Law?

The units of measurement in Coulomb's Law are Coulombs (C) for charge, meters (m) for distance, and newtons (N) for force. The units for speed will depend on the specific scenario and may be meters per second (m/s) or another unit of velocity.