What is the repulsive force pushing these two spheres apart?

In summary, to calculate the repulsive force between two spheres resulting from the fission of a 235U nucleus, we use Coulomb's Law which states that F = k(q1)(q2)/d^2. In this case, we would use the charges of the two smaller spheres, which each have 46 protons, and the distance between them would be the radius of one sphere (5.9x10^-15m).
srsly

Homework Statement

At the point of fission, a nucleus of 235U with 92 protons is divided into two smaller spheres, each with 46 protons and a radius of 5.9x10^-15m. What is the repulsive force pushing these two spheres apart?

Homework Equations

F = k(qi)(q2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure what to use for the numerator of the equation. I believe that 5.9x10^-15m would be used as the distance. So, part of the equation would be (9*10^9)(x)(x)/5.9x10^-15.

Can anyone lead me to what numbers I SHOULD be using or at least give me a hint? Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for coulomb's Law you consider the charges, not the masses...

Ah, sorry ._. I was looking over a different page in my notebook.

1. What is the repulsive force between two spheres?

The repulsive force between two spheres is a type of electromagnetic force that causes them to push away from each other. It is caused by the interaction between the electric charges of the spheres.

2. How does the distance between the spheres affect the repulsive force?

The repulsive force between two spheres is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the strength of the repulsive force between two spheres?

The strength of the repulsive force between two spheres is affected by the charges of the spheres, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the medium between them. The larger the charges and the smaller the distance, the stronger the force will be.

4. Can the repulsive force between two spheres be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the repulsive force between two spheres can be observed in everyday life. For example, it is the force that causes two magnets to repel each other or the force that causes two positively charged balloons to push away from each other.

5. How is the repulsive force between two spheres calculated?

The repulsive force between two spheres can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is equal to the product of the charges divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by a constant. This formula is F = k(q1q2/r^2), where F is the force, k is the constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the spheres, and r is the distance between them.