1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Couple of Calc III questions - Vectors, Continuity

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys, I have two separate questions.

1.)

I am asked for a unit vector pointing from P = (1,2) to Q = (4,6)

In physics, every vector I've ever worked with started at the origin, so these feel weird.

I initially thought that it would simply be 3i + 4j, the differences of each coordinate. However, my book gives the answer as (3/5)i + (4/5)j, they divided each number by sqrt(3^2 + 4^2). But why? Why specifically divide by that? If I understand correctly, if you divide both numbers by any one number, the vector will still point the same way because you just make a similar triangle. Why divide by vector length?

2.)

Limits and Continuity has been very confusing for me.

I am asked to show that f(x,y) does not have a limit as (x,y) -> (0,0), and it says (Hint: use the line y = mx)

The function is (x^2 - y^2)/(x^2 + y^2). How do I use y = mx?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Looking for more of a explanation to help me better understand, not a solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) you divide by the length because they asked for a 'unit vector'. 3i+4j points in the right direction but it doesn't have length 1. 3i/5+4j/5 does. 2) Just put y=mx into the function you are trying to find the limit of and simplify.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook