Couple of Calc III questions - Vectors, Continuity

In summary, the first question is about finding a unit vector pointing from point P to point Q, and the confusion about dividing by the vector length. The second question is about showing that a function does not have a limit at a specific point and using the line y=mx to simplify the calculation.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I have two separate questions.

1.)

I am asked for a unit vector pointing from P = (1,2) to Q = (4,6)

In physics, every vector I've ever worked with started at the origin, so these feel weird.

I initially thought that it would simply be 3i + 4j, the differences of each coordinate. However, my book gives the answer as (3/5)i + (4/5)j, they divided each number by sqrt(3^2 + 4^2). But why? Why specifically divide by that? If I understand correctly, if you divide both numbers by anyone number, the vector will still point the same way because you just make a similar triangle. Why divide by vector length?

2.)

Limits and Continuity has been very confusing for me.

I am asked to show that f(x,y) does not have a limit as (x,y) -> (0,0), and it says (Hint: use the line y = mx)

The function is (x^2 - y^2)/(x^2 + y^2). How do I use y = mx?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking for more of a explanation to help me better understand, not a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) you divide by the length because they asked for a 'unit vector'. 3i+4j points in the right direction but it doesn't have length 1. 3i/5+4j/5 does. 2) Just put y=mx into the function you are trying to find the limit of and simplify.

Dick said:
1) you divide by the length because they asked for a 'unit vector'. 3i+4j points in the right direction but it doesn't have length 1. 3i/5+4j/5 does. 2) Just put y=mx into the function you are trying to find the limit of and simplify.

Thank you!

1. What are vectors and how are they used in Calculus III?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction. In Calculus III, vectors are used to represent quantities such as displacement, velocity, and force. They are also used to solve problems involving curves and surfaces in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you find the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector is its length, or the distance from its initial point to its terminal point. To find the magnitude of a vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components.

3. What is the difference between a dot product and a cross product of two vectors?

The dot product is a scalar quantity that results from multiplying the magnitudes of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. It is used to find the projection of one vector onto another. The cross product, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that results from multiplying the magnitudes of two vectors and the sine of the angle between them. It is used to find the direction of a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors.

4. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A function is continuous if its graph is unbroken and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. In other words, there are no abrupt changes or holes in the graph. Mathematically, a function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. How do you determine if a multivariable function is continuous at a given point?

A multivariable function is continuous at a point if the limit of the function as all its variables approach that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. This means that the function must be defined at that point and its limit must exist and be equal to the function's value at that point. Additionally, the limit must be the same regardless of the path taken to approach the point.