1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coupled eigenvalue-like problem

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A, B are (complex) symmetric 3x3 matrices and det(xA-B) has three distinct solutions a,b and c, prove there exists P invertible such that

PtAP = I the identity matrix
    PtBP = diag(a,b,c) the diagonal matrix with non-zero entries a,b and c

2. Relevant equations

det(xA-B)=0 iff there exists v =/= 0 s.t. xAv = Bv

3. The attempt at a solution

So we have three distinct vectors we'll call x,y and z such that

aAx = Bx
    bAy = By
    cAz = Bz

and from here we want to construct P. The first thing I notice is that Ax, Ay and Az are all non-zero, as otherwise Bx (or y or z) is too and one of a,b or c can be arbitrary (and hence they are not necessarily distinct). But then just because a, b and c aren't necessarily distinct doesn't mean that there aren't distinct a, b and c that do satisfy the condition. This way lies madness, so I decided to go another route:

If we naively try P = [x y z] then AP = [Ax Ay Az] and BP = [aAx bAy cAz] which looks like a pretty good start, but then Pt doesn't do anything useful unless I'm missing something big.

Basically I'm just looking for what the right starting off point is

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted