Rotation around the z-axis and cross products

In summary, the conversation discusses the defining property of a vector and its components under a rotation around the z-axis. The cross product A x B is shown to act as a vector under a rotation about the z-axis. The aim is to prove that if A x B = C, then A' x B' = C', where A' and B' are the rotated versions of A and B, and C' is the resulting cross product.
fishspawned

Homework Statement

A defining property of a vector is that its components must transform in a particular fashio under a rotation. for a counterclockwise rotation around the z-axis, by and angle ∅ the components Ax, Ay, and Az of a vector A transform in the following fashion:

Ax --> Ax' = Axcos∅ + Aysin∅
Ay --> Ay' = -Axsin∅ + Aycos∅
Az --> Az' = Az

Show that the cross product A x B acts as a vector under a rotation about the z-axis

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

i think what i am having trouble is knowing what i am aiming to show. so i have started out rather blindly, setting up some conditions and hoping that it will show me some clue.

i rotated the coordinate system for A and B until A sits directly along the positive X-Axis and B lies above it pointed up in the positive Z direction, diverging by an angle ∅. i was looking at A being rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise

Ax = A
Ay = 0
Az = 0

Bx = Bcos∅
By = 0
Bz = Bsin∅

this gave me a cross product of --> -ABsin∅ along the Y-axis

this didn't tell me anything

i am assuming that AxB is to be likened to a transformation of A but i am unsure how to proceed [am i supposed to be placing AxB straight up in the z-axis?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi fishspawned! :smile:
fishspawned said:
… i think what i am having trouble is knowing what i am aiming to show …

A is a vector (Ax,Ay,Az)

if you rotate it, it becomes a vector A' = (A'x,A'y,A'z)

where A'x = = Axcos∅ + Aysin∅ etc

you have to prove that if A x B = C, then A' x B' = C' :wink:

thanks so much. it seems my problem is less to do with doing the actual math but rather deciphering what is being asked of me. the language of the science can sometimes be difficult for me.

1. What is rotation around the z-axis?

Rotation around the z-axis is a type of rotational motion in a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system where the axis of rotation is the z-axis, which is the vertical axis. This means that an object is rotating in a circular motion around the z-axis, while maintaining its position along the x and y axes.

2. How is rotation around the z-axis calculated?

To calculate rotation around the z-axis, you can use the rotation matrix formula, which involves using trigonometric functions to determine the new coordinates of an object after rotation. The formula is: x' = x*cosθ - y*sinθ, y' = x*sinθ + y*cosθ, z' = z, where (x,y,z) are the original coordinates and (x',y',z') are the new coordinates after rotation by an angle θ around the z-axis.

3. What is a cross product in vector algebra?

In vector algebra, a cross product is a mathematical operation that results in a vector perpendicular to two given vectors. The cross product is denoted by the symbol "×" and is used to find the direction of the resulting vector, which is determined by the right-hand rule. The magnitude of the resulting vector is also calculated using a specific formula.

4. How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

To calculate the cross product of two vectors, you can use the following formula: a × b = (a2b3 - a3b2, a3b1 - a1b3, a1b2 - a2b1), where a and b are two given vectors with three components each. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both a and b.

5. What is the significance of the cross product in physics?

The cross product is commonly used in physics to determine the torque or moment of a force, which is a measure of its rotational effect. It is also used in equations involving angular momentum, magnetic fields, and rotational motion. Additionally, the direction of the cross product can provide important information about the direction of forces and motion in a given system.