Course on mathematical physics

In summary, a student is considering taking a course in cosmology but is unsure if they should start with general relativity or another subject. They want advice on what subjects they could study to prepare for the course.
D_Miller
I have almost finished my bachelor's degree in mathematics, with a minor in physics. A while ago I decided not to continue with physics on my master's degree, but to focus on pure mathematics while learning a bit of computer science as well.

However, after planning out the two semesters of next year, I still have two 7-week periods open, and I would like to spend them learning a bit of physics. In the last one of them, I have decided to take a course on cosmology, a subject I've always had a soft spot for. I'm still undecided with respect to the first seven weeks though. I think I'll take a directed individual study, and this is where I'd love some advice:

I think it's a shame that I haven't had more chances to apply what I've learned in mathematics to my physics studies. This is why I would like some suggestions on physics subjects that require skills in more exotic kinds of mathematics than just calculus and linear algebra. For example, Hilbert space theory, complex analysis and measure-based probability theory all seem like subjects one could apply to physics. The same probably goes for group theory. My university is already running a semester class on geometry in physics, though, so I assume they would be reluctant to let me conjure up such a course. Furthermore, would prefer to have a course on something which isn't just a different approach to something I've already seen. Here I am thinking of the Von Neumann formulation of quantum mechanics, and the Caratheodory formulation of thermodynamics. Remember, I have to be able to cover it in seven weeks, so it can't be too wide.

Sorry if I've ranted a bit too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going to study cosmology, shouldn't you study General Relativity first? You need some fairly sophisticated differential geometry to understand GR (which is useful in many other areas of physics), so the math is interesting. 7 weeks isn't much time, but if you're very motivated and smart you should be able to get the basics. If you want to do some self-study of GR, I highly recommend these lectures: http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~maloney/514/

mistergrinch said:
If you're going to study cosmology, shouldn't you study General Relativity first? You need some fairly sophisticated differential geometry to understand GR (which is useful in many other areas of physics), so the math is interesting.

Of course, from a top-of-the-mountain perspective, this is true, but realistically one doesn't need previous exposure to GR in order to study cosmology. Similarly, one does not need previous exposure to differential geometry to understand general relativity -- you learn it as you go, and only the results which are directly relevant to the theory. Realistically speaking you must do this when studying physics, because to attempt to make the theory axiomatic in the way mathematics is is quite problematic.

The only non-obvious prerequisite for the cosmology course (which is actually about more than just cosmology) is a course on Riemann geometry and Einstein metrics - a course I'm taking as we speak. This is another reason why I'd prefer that the other course has something to do with a branch of mathematics that isn't geometry. Am I completely wrong in assuming that a discipline like complex analysis could be very useful in physics?

I would highly recommend taking a course on mathematical physics. It seems like you have a strong foundation in mathematics and a passion for physics, so this course would allow you to combine both of these interests. In particular, I would suggest looking into courses that focus on the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics, such as Hilbert space theory and group theory. These subjects are essential for understanding the mathematical underpinnings of quantum mechanics and are often overlooked in traditional physics courses. Additionally, courses on cosmology and general relativity would also be valuable, as they require a strong understanding of differential geometry and tensor calculus. These subjects may be more challenging, but they will provide a deeper understanding of the mathematical principles behind the universe. Ultimately, the decision is up to you and what you find most interesting, but I would highly recommend exploring these more exotic areas of mathematics in relation to physics. Good luck with your studies!

What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that applies mathematical tools and techniques to study physical phenomena. It aims to provide a mathematical framework for understanding and describing the laws of nature and their underlying principles.

What topics are typically covered in a course on mathematical physics?

A course on mathematical physics typically covers topics such as vectors and tensors, differential equations, complex analysis, Fourier analysis, group theory, and special functions. It may also include applications of these mathematical concepts to various areas of physics, such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics.

What are the prerequisites for taking a course on mathematical physics?

Prerequisites for a course on mathematical physics may vary depending on the institution and the level of the course. However, a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is typically required. Some courses may also require knowledge of complex analysis and basic physics concepts.

Why is mathematical physics important?

Mathematical physics plays a crucial role in the development of new theories and models in physics. It allows for precise and rigorous formulations of physical laws and provides a powerful tool for predicting and explaining physical phenomena. It also helps to bridge the gap between theoretical and experimental physics.

What career opportunities are available for those with a background in mathematical physics?

Individuals with a background in mathematical physics can pursue careers in various fields, such as research, academia, engineering, and data science. They may also find opportunities in industries that require a strong mathematical and analytical background, such as finance, computer science, and telecommunications.