Cp/Cv Value for Water Vapor and Hydrogen Gas at 2755 K

• Thread starter ZA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the Cp/Cv value for Water Vapor and Hydrogen gas at 2755 K and a molar ratio of H2O/H2:48.6112/62.5 is approximately 1.244. This was calculated using the equation Cp(T) steam = 32.24 + 0.1923e-2*T + 1.055e-5*T^2 - 3.595e-9*T^3 and taking into account the units and range of the equation. The Cv value was approximated using the equation Cp - Cv = R = 8.314 kJ/K-kmol. The exact value may vary, with the computer database giving a value of 1.257
ZA
I need to find out the Cp/Cv value for Water Vapor and Hydrogen gas at 2755 K and a molar ratio of: H2O/H2:48.6112/62.5 I would at least like the Cv and Cp values for water vapor at 2755 K. A correct answer will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
from the equation in my thermodynamic textbook this is my equation

Cp(T) steam = 32.24 + 0.1923e-2*T + 1.055e-5*T^2 - 3.595e-9*T^3

However, there are a few things i need to mention here

First the units are kJ/kmol-K so you need to divide by 18 to get kJ/kg-K

Also, this equation is over the range of 273K - 1800K with a maximum error of 0.53%, so its pretty small, If i use the same equation at 2755 K I get

Cp(2755) Steam = 42.4393 kJ/kmol-K or

Cp(2755) Steam = 2.35 kJ/kg-K

As for the Cv values, my text does not have an equation

I have a computer database that's giving me 1.257

abercrombiems02 said:

Cp(2755) Steam = 42.4393 kJ/kmol-K or ...

As for the Cv values, my text does not have an equation
You could use Cp - Cv = R = 8.314 kJ/K-kmol, as a pretty good approximation.

So, Cv = 42.439 - 8.314 = 34.125 kJ/K-kmol

Hence, Cp/Cv = 1.244, which is not too far from the number quoted by Q_Goest.

1. What is the Cp/Cv value for H2O and H2?

The Cp/Cv value, also known as the heat capacity ratio, for H2O (water) is 4.18 and for H2 (hydrogen) is 1.41. This means that for every degree increase in temperature, H2O requires 4.18 times more energy to raise its temperature compared to H2.

2. Why is the Cp/Cv value different for H2O and H2?

The Cp/Cv value is dependent on the molecular structure and bonding of a substance. H2O has a more complex molecular structure and stronger hydrogen bonding compared to H2, resulting in a higher Cp/Cv value for H2O.

3. How is the Cp/Cv value measured for H2O and H2?

The Cp/Cv value is typically measured through experiments in a controlled environment. The specific heat capacity (Cp) is measured by the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree, while the specific heat at constant volume (Cv) is measured by the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a substance in a constant volume container by 1 degree.

4. How does the Cp/Cv value affect the behavior of H2O and H2?

The Cp/Cv value affects the thermal properties of a substance. A higher Cp/Cv value means that the substance has a higher thermal inertia and will require more energy to change its temperature. This can result in slower temperature changes and more stable thermal behavior for H2O compared to H2.

5. Can the Cp/Cv value change for H2O and H2?

The Cp/Cv value can change for a substance depending on the conditions it is exposed to. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and phase changes can affect the Cp/Cv value of H2O and H2. Additionally, the presence of impurities or variations in the molecular structure can also impact the Cp/Cv value.