CP violation and allowed interactions

In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of CP-violation, including the role of complex couplings and the restrictions on certain interactions due to CP conservation. The question also touches on the relationship between CP-invariance and the parity of Higgs bosons in different interactions.
Safinaz
Hi,

My question about CP- violation, but it has many parts, so I appreciate any help about..

First: I know that, any complex coupling leads to CP - violation, so if for example A is a complex scalar, and H is a real scalar, interaction as: A HH will be forbidden if we considered CP conservation, but what about H A A, will it be allowed ?

Second: I read that ## ^{(1)} ## there is no coupling as : Z A A, because CP–invariance im-
plies that the two Higgs bosons must have an opposite parity. I don't understand why cp -invariance implies that ?

And what about a coupling to a gluon as: G S S ( consider S is a coloured cp- odd or cp- even scalar), will it be allowed ? I mean is there in the strong interactions CP - invariance or violation (since CP- violation observed only in the EW interactions )

Bests,
s

(1) " arXiv:hep-ph/0503173v2 ", Sec. 1.2.3,

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

Before trying to answer (I am also not an expert but I am trying to learn this stuff my self), I am confused by your question.

You say that any complex coupling generates CP violation. What do you mean? A complex coupling constant, say 'g'? Or a vertex which contains a complex field? The you say that AHH would be forbidden for this reason (because there is one complex field?), and you ask whether HAA would be forbidden. You mean HA*A I guess...

Second, you say " Z A A, because CP–invariance implies that the two Higgs bosons must have an opposite parity"

Where is the Higgs boson here? Are you assuming a CP odd Higgs boson?

1. What is CP violation?

CP violation refers to the violation of the combined symmetry of charge conjugation (C) and parity (P) in certain subatomic interactions. It was first observed in the decay of neutral kaons and has since been observed in other particles as well.

2. How is CP violation related to the allowed interactions in particle physics?

CP violation is related to the allowed interactions in particle physics because it can only occur in interactions that involve at least three particles. This is because the combined CP symmetry can only be violated if there is interference between different pathways of particle interactions.

3. Which interactions are allowed in particle physics?

The interactions that are allowed in particle physics are the strong, weak, and electromagnetic interactions. These interactions are mediated by fundamental particles such as gluons, W and Z bosons, and photons, respectively.

4. What are some examples of CP-violating interactions?

Some examples of CP-violating interactions include the decay of neutral kaons, the mixing of neutral B mesons, and the decay of B mesons into two muons. These interactions have been observed in experiments and have provided important insights into the nature of CP violation.

5. How does CP violation affect our understanding of the universe?

The observation of CP violation has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that there is a fundamental difference between matter and antimatter, which could help explain why the universe is predominantly made of matter. Additionally, CP violation can also shed light on the processes involved in the formation of the early universe and the asymmetry between matter and antimatter.