1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crash course of calculus?

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1

tgt

What is a short book which covers all of the key results in calculus in a rigorous manner?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2
    I think Serge Lang's A First Course in Calculus does a pretty good job of that. However, I read maybe 200 pages of the book in a sitting back when I studied AP Calc, so I may have misjudged how rigorous the book is. I do remember that Lang presents I think motivation for a part of the proof of the chain rule in the chapter on differentiation, saving a harder case of the proof for the end of the chapter or something.

Also, I think the epsilon-delta stuff is in the appendix of the book. The main theorems about continuous functions: IVT, boundedness, attains max and min are not in the body of the book, but they may be in the appendix.

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3
    There's a book called "Introduction to Analysis" by Maxwell Rosenlicht which covers quite abit of real analysis and is quite small/short (it's also only $20). However, I would only recommend it if you're already comfortable with a lot of concepts in analysis because it's not amazingly expository since it's trying to be so condensed.

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I doubt you'll find a concise book which is "rigorous" as well. If you want to look for a short, crash course in calculus the books will most likely be a review of the definitions and the techniques rather than the rigor presented in regular textbooks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook