Is there a compact calculus guide that covers all the essentials?

In summary: The books usually cover the basics of calculus, with topics like limits, differentiability, optimization, and integration.In summary, it is difficult to find a short book that covers all key results in calculus in a rigorous manner. Some suggestions include "A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang and "Introduction to Analysis" by Maxwell Rosenlicht, although the latter may be more suitable for those already familiar with analysis. However, most short books on calculus may not delve into the same level of rigor as traditional textbooks.
tgt
What is a short book which covers all of the key results in calculus in a rigorous manner?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Serge Lang's A First Course in Calculus does a pretty good job of that. However, I read maybe 200 pages of the book in a sitting back when I studied AP Calc, so I may have misjudged how rigorous the book is. I do remember that Lang presents I think motivation for a part of the proof of the chain rule in the chapter on differentiation, saving a harder case of the proof for the end of the chapter or something.

Also, I think the epsilon-delta stuff is in the appendix of the book. The main theorems about continuous functions: IVT, boundedness, attains max and min are not in the body of the book, but they may be in the appendix.

There's a book called "Introduction to Analysis" by Maxwell Rosenlicht which covers quite abit of real analysis and is quite small/short (it's also only $20). However, I would only recommend it if you're already comfortable with a lot of concepts in analysis because it's not amazingly expository since it's trying to be so condensed.

tgt said:
What is a short book which covers all of the key results in calculus in a rigorous manner?

I doubt you'll find a concise book which is "rigorous" as well. If you want to look for a short, crash course in calculus the books will most likely be a review of the definitions and the techniques rather than the rigor presented in regular textbooks.

What is the purpose of a crash course in calculus?

A crash course in calculus is designed to provide a quick and condensed overview of the fundamental concepts in calculus. It is meant to help students gain a basic understanding of calculus in a short amount of time, often before starting a more in-depth course in the subject.

What topics are typically covered in a crash course of calculus?

A crash course of calculus typically covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and applications of calculus. It may also touch on basic concepts of differential equations, sequences and series, and multivariable calculus.

Is a crash course in calculus suitable for beginners?

A crash course in calculus is generally meant for students who have some prior exposure to algebra and trigonometry. While it may be suitable for beginners, it is recommended that students have a basic understanding of these subjects before taking a crash course in calculus.

Can a crash course in calculus replace a traditional calculus course?

No, a crash course in calculus is not meant to replace a traditional calculus course. It is intended to supplement a student's understanding of calculus and provide a quick review of key concepts. It is not a substitute for a full-length calculus course.

Are there any resources available for students who want to learn more after completing a crash course in calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available for students who want to further their understanding of calculus after completing a crash course. These may include textbooks, online lectures, practice problems, and interactive tutorials.