Create a Programmable Timed Circuit for Electric Locks | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter shahmeer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the speaker is looking for a way to create a circuit with three programmable switches that open after certain time intervals. They are considering using a microcontroller like a PIC to sense the switches, do the timings, and drive the relays. They have experience with Java and believe programming the chip will not be a problem. They also mention using electric locks similar to the ones from SDC Security.
shahmeer
Hi,

First I'd like to say that I'm a complete noob so please excuse my ignorance.

What I'm trying to achieve is essentially a switch that opens after a certain time. In my circuit, I want to have three of these "switches", the first switch set to open after 5 mins of a button press, the second switch 5 minutes after the first switch, and a third switch 5 mins after the second switch. To achieve this I was thinking that, at the initial button press, the "timer" for each switch would be set to 5 mins, 10 mins, and 15 mins respectively. At the push of another button, the "switches" would be reset to "listen" for the push of the start button (the first button press).

My question is what can do I use for this "switch"?

http://syntaxdonors.org/circuit.PNG

Here is a really simple diagram to help illustrate what I want (Sorry for the weird symbols). The empty rectangles represent the "switch", ideally they would be programmable so that the times can be changed. The dotted square with the triangle (similar to play symbol) is the push button that initiates the timers. The dotted square with the circle is the reset push button, the button that resets the timer. the rectangle with the zigzag lines represents a load, in this case and electric lock (fail-safe). When the time is up, the switch opens causing the electric lock to open.

Again sorry for my lack of knowledge. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
shahmeer said:
Hi,

First I'd like to say that I'm a complete noob so please excuse my ignorance.

What I'm trying to achieve is essentially a switch that opens after a certain time. In my circuit, I want to have three of these "switches", the first switch set to open after 5 mins of a button press, the second switch 5 minutes after the first switch, and a third switch 5 mins after the second switch. To achieve this I was thinking that, at the initial button press, the "timer" for each switch would be set to 5 mins, 10 mins, and 15 mins respectively. At the push of another button, the "switches" would be reset to "listen" for the push of the start button (the first button press).

My question is what can do I use for this "switch"?

http://syntaxdonors.org/circuit.PNG

Here is a really simple diagram to help illustrate what I want (Sorry for the weird symbols). The empty rectangles represent the "switch", ideally they would be programmable so that the times can be changed. The dotted square with the triangle (similar to play symbol) is the push button that initiates the timers. The dotted square with the circle is the reset push button, the button that resets the timer. the rectangle with the zigzag lines represents a load, in this case and electric lock (fail-safe). When the time is up, the switch opens causing the electric lock to open.

Again sorry for my lack of knowledge. Thanks

One of the simplest and most flexible ways to do this would be with a small microcontroller like a PIC:

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2519&param=en025315&page=wwwPICmicroDemo

You would write a simple program to sense the switches, do the timings, and drive the relays. Do you have any programming experience? The PICs can generally be programmed in simple BASIC or C languages...

Ya I have lots of experience with Java and learning how to program the chip shouldn't be a problem. Would you mind detailed the circuitry of this implementation? (would I need any capacitors and resistors, etc)

The locks I plan to use are fairly similar to these: http://www.sdcsecurity.com/docs/DBDocs/MicroCabinetLock_Datasheet.pdf

Thanks a lot.

1. What is a timed circuit?

A timed circuit is an electrical circuit that is designed to turn on and off at specific intervals or for a predetermined duration of time.

2. How does a timed circuit work?

A timed circuit typically includes a timer or timer mechanism, such as a clock or electronic timer, that controls the flow of electricity to the circuit. When the timer is activated, it allows the circuit to complete and turn on. When the timer reaches its set interval or duration, it breaks the circuit and turns it off.

3. What are the applications of a timed circuit?

Timed circuits are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices and systems, such as lighting systems, irrigation systems, and appliances. They can also be used in industrial settings for automated processes and in scientific experiments.

4. How is a timed circuit different from a regular circuit?

A timed circuit has the added feature of a timer that controls the flow of electricity, whereas a regular circuit does not. This allows for specific intervals or durations of electricity flow, making timed circuits more versatile and useful for certain applications.

5. Can a timed circuit be adjusted or reprogrammed?

Yes, depending on the type of timer used, a timed circuit can be adjusted or reprogrammed to change the intervals or duration of electricity flow. Some timers may have manual controls, while others may require programming through a computer or control panel.