Creating a Colpitts Oscillator

• Thread starter baconman71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillator
In summary, the experimenter is looking for an oscillator to use in an experiment to show how wireless energy can be transferred through resonantly tuned lc circuits. They have found a few sites that show schematics and calculators for these oscillators, but are having trouble in a few places. They also mention that it is illegal to transmit on these frequencies without a license, so low powered, short range experiments are usually OK.
baconman71
I am creating an experiment to show how wireless energy can be transferred through resonantly tuned lc circuits. In order for this to work i need an oscillator. I have been told to try a colpitts oscillator. I have looked online and found a few sites showing calculators and schematics for these oscillators but I am having trouble in a few places.

http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_build_an_oscillator_circuit

and

http://www.ekswai.com/en_cap3.htm

show the diagram but don't show where the positive and negative terminals are for the dc power into the oscillator and where the output is. Where are these things?? On the wiki page it has a diagram for a 50 MHz oscillator and I am probably looking for only a few MHz.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In those diagrams, Vcc is the positive connection and the "ground" symbol (like a triangle) is the negative connection.

I wouldn't suggest a Colpitts oscillator. They are relatively hard to get going because you have to get the ratio of some capacitors right.

You could look for crystal oscillator modules around 4 MHz. These are often used on discarded boards form old computers or you can probably get one for a few dollars.

You just connect 5 volts to them and take the signal out of one of the pins. Easy.

There are some here:
http://www.futurlec.com/cgi-bin/search/search.cgi?search=crystal_oscillator&search_base=10&page_no=2
That 4.9152 MHz one would be suitable.
You need to choose one where you can listen to it in a receiver.

Ok thanks. But I would like to if i can get more than 5 volts out of the system. Do crystals allow you to do that?

baconman71 said:
Ok thanks. But I would like to if i can get more than 5 volts out of the system. Do crystals allow you to do that?

Crystals do, but these crystal oscillators do not. They are strictly 5 volts out. Colpitts oscillators using transistors are usually much weaker than this.

However 5 volts from an oscillator is a very good start and it is relatively easy to amplify from 5 volts to get a greater voltage. At least you start on a known stable frequency.

I should issue the usual warning about unwanted radiation.
Unless you have a license to transmit on these frequencies, it is illegal in most countries to do so.
Low powered, short range experiments are normally OK as long as they are not heard outside your own property. You should check on the regulations in your area.

You may be surprised at how strong the signal from one of these oscillator modules can be, especially in the same room.

Ok thanks! I will try the crystal oscillator then. Thanks for all the help.

1. What is a Colpitts Oscillator?

A Colpitts Oscillator is a type of electronic oscillator circuit that produces an oscillating output signal at a specific frequency. It is commonly used in radio frequency applications and is characterized by its use of a capacitive voltage divider network to determine the frequency of oscillation.

2. How does a Colpitts Oscillator work?

A Colpitts Oscillator works by using a combination of capacitors and inductors to create a resonant circuit. The capacitors act as a voltage divider, while the inductors provide negative feedback to sustain the oscillation. The oscillation frequency is determined by the values of the capacitors and inductors used in the circuit.

3. What components are needed to create a Colpitts Oscillator?

A Colpitts Oscillator typically requires two capacitors, two inductors, and an active device such as a transistor or operational amplifier. The values of the capacitors and inductors can vary depending on the desired frequency of oscillation.

4. What are the advantages of using a Colpitts Oscillator?

One advantage of using a Colpitts Oscillator is its simplicity and low cost. It also has a wide frequency range and good stability. Additionally, it can be easily tuned to a specific frequency by adjusting the values of the capacitors and inductors.

5. What are some common applications of a Colpitts Oscillator?

Colpitts Oscillators are commonly used in radio transmitters, audio signal generators, and frequency synthesizers. They are also used in various communication systems, such as RFID tags, and in electronic testing and measurement equipment.