Creative ideas for electrostatics demos/labs

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of conductors in electric field, specifically the zero field inside a Faraday cage and the increase in field strength with curvature. The speaker is looking for experiments to demonstrate this concept, but lacks the necessary equipment. They mention using a VandeGraaf generator and ask if anyone knows of any experiments that can be set up with basic materials. Another speaker suggests using a ball made of copper wires and multiple electroscopes, as well as a half-sphere made of copper net and an electroscope to demonstrate the concept.
MuonMinus
I am trying to put together some demonstrations for E&M class related to the topic of conductors in electric field, particulary that the field inside is zero (something like Faraday cage) and that the field gets stronger with curvature. I have seen videos of the courses with some great demonstrations, but I do not have enough equipment to reproduce them in our lab. One thing we do NOT have is a decent electroscope to measure (or at least compare) the charge. We have some foil-leaf ones but you can't observe much of an effect on them. We do have a VandeGraaf generator. Does anybody know of any experiments that could be set up with some basic materials?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
At what level of education you want to make those demos?

As for your Faraday's cage - what I used to demonstrate at high-school was a ball made of net of thin copper wires, with multiple foil-leaf electroscopes attached inside and outside, then electrised with tabletop van-de-Graaf (disk electrostatic machine may be probably used as well)

Other demo I did was:
insulated copper foil laying on the table, small electroscope standing in the middle (connected to the foil with a wire, electrised. Electroscope shows the field.
Half-sphere made of copper net, connected with a wire to the foil and electroscope, mounted on an insulating long plastic rod. As you slowly cover the electroscope with the Faraday's cover - the electroscope shows vanishing field.

1. How can I create a simple electrostatics demonstration?

One simple way to demonstrate electrostatics is by rubbing a balloon on your hair and then holding it near a stream of water. The water will be attracted to the balloon, showing the presence of static electricity.

2. What materials can I use for a hands-on electrostatics lab?

Common materials for an electrostatics lab include balloons, plastic rods, wool cloth, and pith balls. You can also use everyday items like combs, aluminum foil, and Styrofoam cups.

3. How can I explain the concept of charge and polarity in electrostatics?

One way to explain charge and polarity in electrostatics is by using the analogy of magnets. Just like opposite poles of a magnet attract each other, opposite charges attract each other while like charges repel.

4. What are some advanced electrostatics demos that I can do in a classroom setting?

Some advanced electrostatics demos include using a Van de Graaff generator to create lightning, demonstrating the effect of charge on the path of a charged particle using an electroscope, and creating a Leyden jar to store static electricity.

5. How can I incorporate technology into an electrostatics lab?

There are several ways to incorporate technology into an electrostatics lab. You can use an electroscope app on a smartphone to measure the presence of charge, conduct an online simulation of electrostatics experiments, or use a digital multimeter to measure the voltage of different objects.