What Is the Critical Angle for Light in a Submerged Fiber Optic Cable?

In summary, the critical angle for light to stay inside the cable is determined by the equation sinC = 1/n, where n is the index of refraction of the fiber optic (1.5) divided by the index of refraction of water (1.33).
dev-hud
A fiber optic (n = 1.5) is submerged in water (n = 1.33). What is the critical angle for light to stay inside the cable?

i am so confuzed. this is the final question of my paper and i am stuck on a couple questions before this so it is obvious i would get this. i just need a start please.

Physics news on Phys.org
dev-hud said:
A fiber optic (n = 1.5) is submerged in water (n = 1.33). What is the critical angle for light to stay inside the cable?

i am so confuzed. this is the final question of my paper and i am stuck on a couple questions before this so it is obvious i would get this. i just need a start please.

sinC = 1/n

Related to What Is the Critical Angle for Light in a Submerged Fiber Optic Cable?

1. What is the critical angle inside a cable?

The critical angle inside a cable is the angle at which a light ray traveling through the cable will be completely reflected back into the cable instead of being transmitted through it.

2. How is the critical angle inside a cable calculated?

The critical angle inside a cable can be calculated using the formula: critical angle = sin-1(refractive index of cable / refractive index of surrounding medium). The refractive index of a material is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when traveling through that material.

3. What factors affect the critical angle inside a cable?

The critical angle inside a cable is affected by the refractive index of the cable material and the refractive index of the surrounding medium. It is also affected by the angle at which the light ray enters the cable and the surface smoothness of the cable.

4. How does the critical angle inside a cable affect data transmission?

The critical angle inside a cable plays a crucial role in data transmission as it determines the maximum angle at which light can enter the cable and still be transmitted without loss. This angle is important in fiber optic communication systems, where the cable serves as a medium for transmitting data using light signals.

5. Can the critical angle inside a cable be manipulated?

Yes, the critical angle inside a cable can be manipulated by changing the refractive index of the cable material or the surrounding medium. This can be done by adjusting the materials used or by using special coatings on the cable to modify its refractive index. This manipulation can be used to optimize data transmission in fiber optic systems.