Critical Numbers of f(x) = (x2+3)/(x-1): Is it Really That Simple?

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary: The first source is a bit more strict (or you could say, less forgiving) and requires that f'(c) must exist. So it ultimately comes down to the definition being used. However, in this case, it seems that the vertical asymptote would not be considered a critical number by most definitions. In summary, the critical numbers of f(x) = (x^2+3)/(x-1) are 3 and -1, as they are the values of x where f'(x) = 0. However, there are some variations in the definition of critical numbers, and some sources may not consider values outside of the domain of the original function, such as vertical asymptotes, as critical numbers.
MathewsMD
What are the critical numbers of f(x) = (x2+3)/(x-1)

I took the derivative and found f'(x) = (x+1)(x-3)/(x-1)

so I thought the critical numbers were 3, ±1

...sadly, this is incorrect. I always thought the definition of a critical number was where f'(x) = 0 or DNE. But for this to be applicable, must the value for x firstly exist in the domain of f(x) or not? Since for all values of x not in the domain of f(x), it would also not exist in f'(x) and that includes vertical asymptotes. So are values for vertical asymptotes not considered critical numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
What are the critical numbers of f(x) = (x2+3)/(x-1)

I took the derivative and found f'(x) = (x+1)(x-3)/(x-1)

so I thought the critical numbers were 3, ±1

...sadly, this is incorrect. I always thought the definition of a critical number was where f'(x) = 0 or DNE. But for this to be applicable, must the value for x firstly exist in the domain of f(x) or not? Since for all values of x not in the domain of f(x), it would also not exist in f'(x) and that includes vertical asymptotes. So are values for vertical asymptotes not considered critical numbers?

Things vary a bit from source-to-source, but I don't think any of them would regard the vertical asymptote in this case a a critical point.

The source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_point_(mathematics) regards a critical point c as having f'(c) = 0---and does not allow for non-existence of f'(c). (However, one paragraph therein does mention that other authors define it slightly differently). The source http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/CriticalPoints.aspx allows for the non-existence of f'(c), but only in cases where f(c) itself does exist---and it emphasises this last point. In your case f(c) does not exist at c = 1, so c = 1 would not be called critical by either of these two sources. The source http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/diff/der13/der13.html emphasizes the relationship between critical points and local optima---even when f'(c) does not exist. Here, too, the point c=1 in your example would not be regarded as 'critical'.

The Wikipedia article cites Stewart's calculus text as the source for the definition, yet I just checked and that text defines a critical point c as a point in the domain of f where f'(c) = 0 or f'(c) does not exist.Edit: I see the Wikipedia article refers to only differentiable functions so the non-existence of f'(c) is automatically ruled out.

vela said:
The Wikipedia article cites Stewart's calculus text as the source for the definition, yet I just checked and that text defines a critical point c as a point in the domain of f where f'(c) = 0 or f'(c) does not exist.

Edit: I see the Wikipedia article refers to only differentiable functions so the non-existence of f'(c) is automatically ruled out.

Haha yep. I'm using Stewart's Calculus right now and it essentially states if f'(x) = 0 or DNE, then it is considered a critical point. I was actually doing a previous exam, and the answer was that the vertical asymptote is not included since it is not defined for f(x)--it's not in the domain of the original function. Any further thoughts or comments to add?

MathewsMD said:
Haha yep. I'm using Stewart's Calculus right now and it essentially states if f'(x) = 0 or DNE, then it is considered a critical point. I was actually doing a previous exam, and the answer was that the vertical asymptote is not included since it is not defined for f(x)--it's not in the domain of the original function. Any further thoughts or comments to add?

So, that is exactly what the second source I quoted says and the third one implies.

1. What are critical numbers?

Critical numbers are values of x where the derivative of a function is equal to zero or undefined.

2. How can I find the critical numbers of a function?

To find the critical numbers of a function, you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for x to find the critical numbers.

3. Why are critical numbers important?

Critical numbers help us identify important points on a graph such as local extrema and points of inflection.

4. Can there be more than one critical number for a function?

Yes, there can be multiple critical numbers for a function. This usually occurs when the derivative has multiple roots.

5. How do critical numbers relate to the original function?

Critical numbers can help us determine the behavior of the original function. For example, if the critical number is a local maximum, then the original function will have a peak at that point.