Is My 2.5-Year College Plan for a Physics/Math Double Major Well-Balanced?

In summary: I'm not a fan. But its required, so I guess I'll have to take it. E Physics I 4 In summary, Semester 3 was focused on computer science and scientific programming, while Semester 4 introduced calculus and college chem. Semester 5 focused on calculus and linear algebra, while also covering differential equations and engineering physics.
Nano-Passion
Semester 3
Introduction to Computers 3 15
Scientific programming 3
Calculus I 4
College Survival 1
E Physics I 4

Semester 4
Calculus II 4 15
College Chem 4
Mathematical Analysis III 3
Engineering Physics II 4

Semester 5
Calc III 4 16
Linear Algebra 3
Differential Equations 4
Engineering Physics III 5

This will get me an associates in double major for physics/mathematics-going for a PhD in physics (leaning toward theoretical)

I will finish my associates in 2.5 years. I could perhaps finish if I decide to do just a physics major in two years (using the summer session). But I am not using the summer session because next summer I have the internship. Is this a bad idea, does it look bad if I finish an associates in 2.5 years?

And Does my class work look evened out through the semesters?

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of it, but its a big deal to me hehe. Criticism needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:
Semester 3
Introduction to Computers 3 15
Scientific programming 3
Calculus I 4
College Survival 1
E Physics I 4

Semester 4
Calculus II 4 15
College Chem 4
Mathematical Analysis III 3
Engineering Physics II 4

Semester 5
Calc III 4 16
Linear Algebra 3
Differential Equations 4
Engineering Physics III 5

Looks pretty solid to me. After you transfer to a university, you'll have a good background in material to finish off your bachelor degrees in math and physics and go for your PhD.

Nano-Passion said:
I will finish my associates in 2.5 years. I could perhaps finish if I decide to do just a physics major in two years (using the summer session). But I am not using the summer session because next summer I have the internship. Is this a bad idea, does it look bad if I finish an associates in 2.5 years?

Of course not. The fact that you have an internship and you're preparing yourself for dual majors speaks volumes. I can't say what every university looks for, but if I were looking at your transcript, you would be rated higher than someone who finished their associates in 2 years with a standard major.

Nano-Passion said:
And Does my class work look evened out through the semesters?

Yes. You've got a good mix of math, programming and physics courses in there.

Nano-Passion said:
College Survival 1

Seems legit.

Nabeshin said:
Seems legit.

Lmaoo. Its a required course for my associates, its a community college.

Overall, your schedule plan looks well-rounded and challenging. It is great that you are planning to double major in physics and mathematics and are considering pursuing a PhD in physics. However, there are a few points that I would like to address:

1. It is important to ensure that you have a strong foundation in computer science, especially if you are planning to pursue a PhD in physics. I would suggest taking more computer science courses, such as data structures and algorithms, in addition to the introductory course.

2. It is great that you have included courses in calculus and differential equations, as they are important for understanding mathematical concepts in physics. However, you may want to consider taking courses in linear algebra and differential equations earlier in your schedule, as they are fundamental to many physics concepts.

3. It is important to have a well-rounded education, but make sure that you are not overloading yourself with too many courses in one semester. This can lead to burnout and affect your performance in all of your courses. Make sure to balance your course load and give yourself enough time to study and prepare for each class.

4. It is not a bad idea to finish your associates in 2.5 years, as long as you are able to handle the workload and maintain a good academic standing. However, make sure to also focus on gaining practical experience through internships and research opportunities, as they are important for graduate school applications.

In summary, your schedule plan seems well thought out, but make sure to balance your course load and consider taking more computer science courses and foundational math courses earlier in your schedule. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Is My 2.5-Year College Plan for a Physics/Math Double Major Well-Balanced?

1. What is the purpose of a schedule plan?

A schedule plan is a detailed outline of tasks and activities that need to be completed within a specific timeframe. It helps to organize and prioritize your workload, ensuring that you meet deadlines and achieve your goals efficiently.

2. How do I create an effective schedule plan?

To create an effective schedule plan, start by identifying all the tasks and activities that need to be completed. Then, estimate the time it will take to complete each task and prioritize them based on their importance and urgency. Finally, allocate specific time slots for each task in your schedule, making sure to leave room for unexpected tasks or breaks.

3. Can I deviate from my schedule plan?

Yes, it is okay to deviate from your schedule plan as long as you adjust it accordingly. Unexpected tasks or events may come up, and it is important to be flexible and make changes to your schedule when necessary. However, try to stick to your plan as much as possible to maintain productivity.

4. How often should I review and update my schedule plan?

It is recommended to review and update your schedule plan on a weekly basis. This allows you to make any necessary adjustments based on your progress and any new tasks or events that may have arisen. However, you can also review and update your plan daily or monthly, depending on your needs.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a schedule plan?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a schedule plan include overestimating or underestimating the time needed for tasks, not leaving enough room for breaks or unexpected tasks, and not being realistic about your workload. It is also important to be flexible and make adjustments as needed instead of strictly adhering to a rigid schedule.