How can I move my bed and mattress from Oregon to New York on a budget?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross
In summary, the conversation is about a person moving from Oregon to New York for grad school and seeking advice on the cheapest way to move their bed and mattress. Suggestions include calling local moving companies, using a pickup truck, renting a truck from a car rental or U-haul, and using large national movers. It is also suggested to check out thrift stores and Ikea for affordable furniture options in New York. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about not letting the bed own the person and a recommendation to take Amtrak if the grad school is in NYC.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am moving from Oregon to New York for grad school and am wondering the cheapest way to move my bed and mattress. Any ideas? I don't think the best route is to buy a new bed and mattress in NY.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried calling local moving companies to see if they would take on such a small load and what they would charge? You'd probably have to wait a week or two for delivery, and use a sleeping bag and pad on the floor of your new apartment in the meantime.

I suspect it would be too big for UPS, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them, too.

Thanks, I haven't yet, but that's a good option.

Do you have a trailer hitch on your vehicle?

I think a bed and a mattress fits in a pickup. If you dismantle it even better.

Who needs a pickup truck? You can even use it for taking a nap at Rest Stops along the way... :smile:

camper17.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and Psinter
berkeman said:
Who needs a pickup truck? You can even use it for taking a nap at Rest Stops along the way... :smile:

camper17.jpg
:oldlaugh:

This is epic.

Hahahahahahah that's a hilarious picture! I don't have a hitch, but I may know of a family member who does.

Stuff you mattress into a plastic bag and vacuum seal it enough so that it fits inside a backpack :biggrin:

(just kidding . . . seriously!)

Large national movers are always looking for small moves to fill their trailers, your stuff will ship with someone elses, but shouldn't cost too much.

Have you checked out renting a truck from a car rental or U-hual?

Likes berkeman
Large national movers; do you have any companies in mind or is this something I should google?

I haven't looked into a U-haul yet, but this may be a solution.

joshmccraney said:
Large national movers; do you have any companies in mind or is this something I should google?
Google "van lines" and you'll find a bunch to choose from, not sure what kind of rates you'll get, summer is always highest due to being the busiest.

Thanks so much!

joshmccraney said:
Thanks so much!
Good luck, I've been through many interstate moves following my now ex-husband as he got a new job about every 18 months. Some were fine some were nightmares with insane moving employees and, well, I could write a book, I guess it would be a horror story. :eek:

Yikes! Every 18 months is one heck of a commitment! Moving once sounds like a lot of work, and I'm just moving me!

If the bed isn't a family heirloom
don't let it own you.

Where in New York is your grad school ?
If NYC i'd say shed the car too and take Amtrak. It drops you downtown , no airport-into-town hassle
Check these two websites
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=+Foam+mattress (right in Brooklyn)
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/shopping/the-best-thrift-stores-in-new-york

Fair Anne's mom lived at Delancy and Ave A . Plenty of used furniture shops around there,,, (well, there were plenty ten years ago. )

old jim

jim hardy said:
Where in New York is your grad school ?
It's in Ithaca, so about 4 hours from NYC I think?

Ikea is awesome though; that's where my bed frame is from now!

1. What is the best way to transport my belongings during a cross country move in the US?

The best way to transport your belongings during a cross country move in the US is by hiring a professional moving company. They have experience in handling long distance moves and will ensure that your belongings are safely packed and transported to your new location.

2. How much does a cross country move in the US typically cost?

The cost of a cross country move in the US can vary depending on factors such as the distance, size of your belongings, and additional services. On average, a cross country move can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000.

3. How far in advance should I start planning for a cross country move in the US?

It is recommended to start planning for a cross country move in the US at least 3 months in advance. This will give you enough time to research moving companies, pack your belongings, and make any necessary arrangements for your new location.

4. Are there any items that cannot be transported during a cross country move in the US?

Yes, there are certain items that cannot be transported during a cross country move in the US. These include hazardous materials, perishable items, and plants. It is important to check with your moving company for a full list of prohibited items.

5. How can I ensure that my belongings arrive safely during a cross country move in the US?

To ensure that your belongings arrive safely during a cross country move in the US, make sure to properly pack and label all boxes, use sturdy packing materials, and consider purchasing additional insurance coverage for valuable items. It is also helpful to communicate clearly with your moving company about any fragile or special items that require extra care during the move.