Cross country move in US

Hi PF!

I am moving from Oregon to New York for grad school and am wondering the cheapest way to move my bed and mattress. Any ideas? I don't think the best route is to buy a new bed and mattress in NY.

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

jtbell
Mentor
Have you tried calling local moving companies to see if they would take on such a small load and what they would charge? You'd probably have to wait a week or two for delivery, and use a sleeping bag and pad on the floor of your new apartment in the meantime.

I suspect it would be too big for UPS, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them, too.

Thanks, I haven't yet, but that's a good option.

berkeman
Mentor
Do you have a trailer hitch on your vehicle?

I think a bed and a mattress fits in a pickup. If you dismantle it even better.

berkeman
Mentor
Who needs a pickup truck? You can even use it for taking a nap at Rest Stops along the way... :smile:

camper17.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and Psinter
Who needs a pickup truck? You can even use it for taking a nap at Rest Stops along the way... :smile:

camper17.jpg
:oldlaugh:

This is epic.

Hahahahahahah that's a hilarious picture! I don't have a hitch, but I may know of a family member who does.

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Stuff you mattress into a plastic bag and vacuum seal it enough so that it fits inside a backpack :biggrin:

(just kidding . . . seriously!)

Evo
Mentor
Large national movers are always looking for small moves to fill their trailers, your stuff will ship with someone elses, but shouldn't cost too much.

Have you checked out renting a truck from a car rental or U-hual?

Large national movers; do you have any companies in mind or is this something I should google?

I haven't looked into a U-haul yet, but this may be a solution.

Evo
Mentor
Large national movers; do you have any companies in mind or is this something I should google?
Google "van lines" and you'll find a bunch to choose from, not sure what kind of rates you'll get, summer is always highest due to being the busiest.

Evo
Mentor
Thanks so much!
Good luck, I've been through many interstate moves following my now ex-husband as he got a new job about every 18 months. Some were fine some were nightmares with insane moving employees and, well, I could write a book, I guess it would be a horror story. :eek:

Yikes! Every 18 months is one heck of a commitment! Moving once sounds like a lot of work, and I'm just moving me!

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If the bed isn't a family heirloom
don't let it own you.

Where in New York is your grad school ?
If NYC i'd say shed the car too and take Amtrak. It drops you downtown , no airport-into-town hassle
Check these two websites
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=+Foam+mattress (right in Brooklyn)
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/shopping/the-best-thrift-stores-in-new-york

Fair Anne's mom lived at Delancy and Ave A . Plenty of used furniture shops around there,,, (well, there were plenty ten years ago. )

old jim

Where in New York is your grad school ?
It's in Ithaca, so about 4 hours from NYC I think?

Ikea is awesome though; that's where my bed frame is from now!