What is the Area of the Parallelogram?

In summary, a cross product of vertices is a mathematical operation that produces a vector perpendicular to two original vectors in three-dimensional space. It is used to calculate the area and direction of a parallelogram formed by the two original vectors. The cross product is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix and has many applications in mathematics and science. Some properties of the cross product include being anti-commutative, distributive, and following the right-hand rule. It is also related to the dot product through a specific identity.
τheory

Homework Statement

Let A = (-5, -2, -5), B = (-7, -7, -6), C = (-3, -3, 0), and D = (-5, -8, -1). Find the area of the parallelogram determined by these four points.

Homework Equations

Area of Parallelogram = ||a x b||

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the parallelogram and decided to use CA and CD as my two vectors for the cross product. Finding the vector for each came from the following:

CA = C - A = <-3, -3, 0> - <-5, -2, -5> = <2, -1, 5>
CD = C - D = <-3, -3, 0> - <-5, -8, -1> = <-2, -5, -1>

Then I took the cross product:

CA x CD = <26, -8, -12>

To which I tried to find the magnitude:
||CA x CD|| = √( 26^2 + (-8)^2 + (-12)^2) = √995

I submitted this to Webwork but it says this answer is wrong; can someone explain to me what went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
τheory said:

Homework Statement

Let A = (-5, -2, -5), B = (-7, -7, -6), C = (-3, -3, 0), and D = (-5, -8, -1). Find the area of the parallelogram determined by these four points.

Homework Equations

Area of Parallelogram = ||a x b||

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the parallelogram and decided to use CA and CD as my two vectors for the cross product. Finding the vector for each came from the following:

CA = C - A = <-3, -3, 0> - <-5, -2, -5> = <2, -1, 5>
CD = C - D = <-3, -3, 0> - <-5, -8, -1> = <-2, -5, -1>

Then I took the cross product:

CA x CD = <26, -8, -12>

To which I tried to find the magnitude:
||CA x CD|| = √( 26^2 + (-8)^2 + (-12)^2) = √995

I submitted this to Webwork but it says this answer is wrong; can someone explain to me what went wrong?
Your cross product is correct.

Check your arithmetic on 262 + (-8)2 + (-12)2 .

Everything looks good except the last ##\sqrt{995}##.

[Edit]: Good timing Sammys.

What is a cross product of vertices?

A cross product of vertices is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors in a three-dimensional space and produces a vector that is perpendicular to both original vectors. It is used to calculate the area and direction of a parallelogram formed by the two original vectors.

How do you calculate the cross product of vertices?

The cross product of two vectors, a and b, is calculated by taking the determinant of the 3x3 matrix:
a x b = | i j k |
| a1 a2 a3 |
| b1 b2 b3 |
where i, j and k are the unit vectors in the x, y and z directions, respectively, and a1, a2 and a3 are the components of vector a and b1, b2 and b3 are the components of vector b.

What is the significance of the cross product of vertices?

The cross product of vertices has many applications in mathematics and science. It is commonly used in vector calculus, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to calculate the area of a triangle or a parallelogram, find the direction of a magnetic field, and determine the normal vector to a surface.

What are some properties of the cross product of vertices?

Some properties of the cross product of vertices include: it is anti-commutative, meaning a x b = - (b x a); it is distributive, meaning a x (b + c) = a x b + a x c; and it follows the right-hand rule, meaning if you curl the fingers of your right hand from vector a to vector b, the direction of the resulting vector a x b will point in the direction of your thumb.

What is the relationship between the cross product of vertices and the dot product?

The cross product of vertices and the dot product are both mathematical operations performed on vectors, but they have different results. The dot product produces a scalar (a single number), while the cross product produces a vector. Additionally, the two operations are related by the identity a x (b x c) = (a · c)b - (a · b)c.