1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Crum's shell effect - visualisation needed

1. Mar 14, 2016 #1
    When a bubble in liquid expands or contracts it can be seen as having a liquid shell that gets larger on expansion and smaller on compression.

The idea of diffusion is what im struggling with, if the bubble was getting bigger and the liquid shell contracts then surely it would become more concentrated and diffusion into the bubble from the liquid would be reduced? likewise if the bubble was getting smaller the liquid shell would get bigger and it would be less concentrated, therefore diffusion from the liquid into the bubble would increase?

BUT Crum did not say this, he said the opposite, i'll quote a paper:

The problem is the language is vague, it says "to the bubble", do they mean into the bubble, do they mean molecules move to the bubble wall and stay there?

Any help with this idea would really be appreciated. Why would diffusion into the bubble occur more readily if the concentration of the wall was increased? which would intuitively make it harder for gas molecules to penetrate.

Paper source: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0307904X0300204X

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2016 #2
    I'll update for anyone else who comes across this, now solved. The key was that it occurs from the shell and is the same substance as the bulk solution, therefore it's simply a concentration gradient issue. Here's what I have written:

On expansion, a liquid shell surrounding the bubble may be envisaged that becomes thinner and more concentrated and thus the rate of diffusion from the shell into the bubble increases. On contraction the shell would become larger it’s concentration would decrease therefore the aforementioned diffusion would not readily occur [24].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted