Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 Cross Sections

• Thread starter jderm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cross
In summary, the conversation involves calculating the relative abundance of Cu-66 and Cu-64 in a sample of copper after exposure to a PuBe neutron source. The individual has cross section data for the relevant nuclear reactions and the energy spectrum for the source. They propose using normalized functions to represent the probability of neutron capture and integrating them over the energy range of the source to calculate the relative abundance. They are seeking feedback and confirmation on this approach.
jderm
Hi
I am trying to calculate the relative abundance of Cu-66 and Cu-64 in a sample of copper after it has been exposed to a PuBe neutron source for a few days. I have cross section data for the Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 and Cu-63(N,G)Cu-64 nuclear reactions. I also have the energy spectrum for the PuBe source. I cannot find literature that describes this process; the following is what i think i need to do. any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Let P66(E) represent the cross section for the Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 reaction as a function of energy

Let P64(E) represent the cross section for the Cu-63(N,G)Cu-64 reaction as a function of energy

Let IPuBe(E) represent the neutron spectrum from the PuBe source.

If all three are normalized such that the area under the curve defined by the function is equal to one, then does it follow that P66*IPuBe represents the probability distribution for neutron capture by Cu-65?

Physics news on Phys.org
If so then I would guess that the relative abundance of Cu-66 and Cu-64 can be calculated by integrating P66(E)*IPuBe(E) and P64(E)*IPuBe(E) over the energy range of the PuBe source. Is this correct?

What is the Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section?

The Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section is a measure of the probability that a neutron will be captured by a copper-65 nucleus, resulting in the production of a copper-66 nucleus and one or more other particles.

Why is the Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section important?

The Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section is important because it allows scientists to predict the rate at which copper-66 is produced in a given sample of copper-65 when exposed to a neutron flux. This information is crucial in nuclear reactor design and in understanding the production of elements in stars.

What factors affect the Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section?

The Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section can be affected by factors such as the energy of the incident neutron, the temperature of the sample, the density of the sample, and the presence of other elements that may interfere with the reaction.

How is the Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section measured?

The Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section is typically measured through experiments using particle accelerators or nuclear reactors, where the neutron flux and energy can be controlled and the resulting copper-66 production can be measured.

Can the Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section be calculated or predicted?

Yes, the Cu-65(N,G)Cu-66 cross section can be calculated or predicted using various theoretical models and computer simulations. However, experimental data is still needed to validate and refine these predictions.