Is a Negative Real Root Possible for a Fifth Degree Equation?

• Thread starter kkaman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the given equation is not a cubic equation but a fifth degree equation. Using Descartes' rule of signs, we can determine that it has no positive real roots and only one negative real root. When a is 0, the value is positive, and when a is -1/3, the value is negative. This tells us that "a" is less than -1/3.
kkaman
If 1/a^3+ a^2+ 9=0 , is ''a'' greater than/less than or equal to -1/3.

This a GRE question. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That doesn't look like a cubic equation to me. If you multiply both sides by a3 you get a5+ 9a3+ 1= 0, a fifth degee equation. We can tell by "DesCartes' rule of signs" that it has no positive real root and only one negative real root. When a= 0, (0)5+ 9(0)+ 1= 1 which is positive and when a= -1/3, (-1/3)5+ 9(-1/3)+ 1= -2+ 1/243 which is negative. What does that tell you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may have missed the '1/' at the beginning, Halls. that one does not make it more cubic, though.

jacobrhcp said:
I think you may have missed the '1/' at the beginning, Halls. that one does not make it more cubic, though.
He actually multiplied by a^3, but wrote a^2.

HallsofIvy said:
That doesn't look like a cubic equation to me. If you multiply both sides by a3 you get a5+ 9a3+ 1= 0, a fifth degee equation. We can tell by "DesCartes' rule of signs" that it has no positive real root and only one negative real root. When a= 0, (0)5+ 9(0)+ 1= 1 which is positive and when a= -1/3, (-1/3)5+ 9(-1/3)+ 1= -2+ 1/243 which is negative. What does that tell you?

Thanks, to solve it quickly i thought it as cubic overlooking the fact that it is actually a^-3, not a^3.

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a cubic equation?

There are multiple methods for solving a cubic equation, including the rational root theorem, completing the square, and using the cubic formula. The most common method is to use the cubic formula, which involves finding the roots using a quadratic formula.

3. How many solutions can a cubic equation have?

A cubic equation can have up to three solutions, which can be real or complex. However, there is always at least one real solution for a cubic equation.

4. What is the relationship between the coefficients and the solutions of a cubic equation?

The coefficients of a cubic equation can provide information about the solutions. For example, the sum of the solutions is equal to -b/a, and the product of the solutions is equal to -d/a.

5. Can a cubic equation have irrational solutions?

Yes, a cubic equation can have irrational solutions. For example, the equation x^3 - 3x + 1 = 0 has one real solution that is irrational (approximately 1.32472).