1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cumulus Clouds

1. Jan 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cubic centimeter in a typical cumulus cloud contains 50 to 500 water drops, which have a typical radius of 10 µm. For that range, give the lower value and the higher value, respectively, for the following.

How many cubic meters of water are in a cylindrical cumulus cloud of height 3.2 km and radius 1.2 km?

2. Relevant equations
    Volume Formula of a Cylinder ==>
    V = 3.14 * h * r2 (squared)
    Volume Formula of a Sphere ==>
    V = 4/3 * 3.14 * r3 (cubic)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to find the volume of the Cubic Centimeter using the 10µm of a drop and multiplying respectively (50 or 500). However I converted the µm to cm to get the Volume in cm3. Then I convert that to cubic meter.

Later I find the volume for the cloud (I find this in cubic meter). Multiply that times the volume of the respective min and max values for the volume of cubic centimeter in the cloud, but in come sout wrong...what am I doing wrong?
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Without actually seeing each step, I'm guessing that you may be having a conversion probelm from um to m, etc. Other than that, it looks like the logic is Okay.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?