Curious About Battery Charging

• Thread starter Infinityze
  • Start date
Sorry Drakkith - still not getting it :-( I think I'm missing something fundamental here.

1A = 1 coulomb per second = 6.241×1018e per second and as far as I can understand from wiki, etc, this is equivalent to that number of electrons passing a point per second.

If that charge / second can carry different power depending on the voltage, that would imply that each electron can transfer a different amount of power? So 1 electron will always have the same charge (pretty confident on that one :-) but can carry different amounts of power?

Bear with me on this one... I think I have an analogy that makes sense to me - could be completely wrong though!
If I replace electricity with bullets... then my equivalent of Amps might be (e.g) 100 bullets moving 1 meter per second
High Voltage: Shoot all 100 sequentially over the course of 1 second. Each bullet carries a lot of power
Low Voltage: Take the box of 100 bullets, and carry it 1 meter over the course of 1 second. Same number of bullets; but each carries a lot less power!

Am I getting any closer?

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
If that charge / second can carry different power depending on the voltage, that would imply that each electron can transfer a different amount of power? So 1 electron will always have the same charge (pretty confident on that one :-) but can carry different amounts of power?
Pretty much, though I would say that each electron has more energy to give up in the 20 volt circuit than the 10 volt circuit. That's what voltage is. A measure of electric potential energy per charge.