Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current density in graphene-giant?

Tags:
  1. Jul 25, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I just read a paper on graphene's basic properties and it says that since current density J is given as

J=q*n*v

where q is the elementary charge, n is the electron density and v is the Fermi velocity of electrons and for graphene n=6*10^12 cm^-2 and v=10^8 cm/s, the current density in graphene is giant as J=100A/cm. It doesn't sound right. Is it a realistic value for J? Or what can I do to correctly interpret this?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2014 #2
    I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3
    Bumping this because I'm interested in the answer too. (Will be starting a project with graphene soon)

Also, if anyone replies - is there an intuition behind graphene's basic properties? Right now I'm not really getting why graphene is the way it is.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook