Current distribution diagram confusion

In summary: Ax = -u*I*xhat/(4*Pi) ln((y+sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)/(-x+sqrt((-x)^2+y^2+z^2)))In summary, the current in the x direction is equal but in opposite directions, while the current in the y direction is equal but in the same direction. The current in the z direction is zero.
Joan

Homework Statement

I am trying to interpret a diagram of a current distribution, with a view to finding the vector potential. I 'm afraid I don't know how to put images here, so I will try to describe it.

In the diagram the x-y plane faces the viewer.
In the x direction the diagram shows two arrows facing towards each other.
In the y direction the diagram shows two arrows facing exactly away from each other.
Next to each arrow there is a lower case i.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it means that the magnitudes of the currents are equal but in different directions. They converge on x and diverge on y, but I'm not sure if this is right, or possible? It seems unlikely to me.
If this is correct and I'm not missing anything my solution to finding the vector potential would be simply to make a sum of its x,y,z components. It looks like they would cancel to me though.

If anyone could tell me if I'm on the right track or nudge me in the right direction I would be very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are saying they converge at the origin from -x,x and flow away -y,y, then so long as you observe Kirchhoff's Current Laws, the conservation of charge, then it's possible.

That was fast thanks! Yep, that's what I was trying to say. I am only dealing in magnetostatics at the moment so I think charge must be conserved, otherwise the magnetic field would vary, is that right?

Also, could you give me an example of this situation? I'm having trouble visualising it..
Thanks for your help!

Without wires, you know those convenient conductors, I am presuming that you would be talking about a stream of electrons flowing in space. If say two streams encountered a uniform magnetic field region, heading toward each other, one would imagine that the Lorentz force relationship would introduce a directional translation. One to the left and one to the right. Let the right hand rule be your guide.

(Remember at all times you were asking about possible.)

I see what you mean.

Thanks

Last thing, to your knowledge does little Xi ever have a particular meaning in magnetostatics or does it just refer to some small increment?

No, I just meant the greek letter. I think it does just mean a small increment but I missed todays lecture and I'm not quite sure, trying to catch up now.
Thanks for all your help

Joan said:
No, I just meant the greek letter. I think it does just mean a small increment but I missed todays lecture and I'm not quite sure, trying to catch up now.
Thanks for all your help

Well catch up then, and good luck.

cheers!

Hi again,

Now I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is reasonable, for the x component of the vector potential A(r) I have found that

Ax = -u*I*xhat/(4*Pi) ln((y+sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)/(-x+sqrt((-x)^2+y^2+z^2)))

I'm not exactly convinced.

I find similar for y but for z i think it is simply zero, but I'm not sure if it is ok to just state this.
I was working in cartesian coordinates, but it occurs to me that maybe i ahould use curvilinear because of the shape of A, but then I wouldn't know what to do at the intersection of the currents.

Also any latex advice, other peoples equations look much better...

Thanks

#edit- just adjusted the brackets

1. What is a current distribution diagram?

A current distribution diagram is a graphical representation of how electrical current flows through a circuit. It shows the path of the current and how it is divided among different components in the circuit.

2. How is a current distribution diagram created?

A current distribution diagram is created by analyzing the circuit and determining the current flow through each component. This information is then plotted on a diagram using arrows to indicate the direction of the current flow.

3. Why is current distribution diagram confusion common?

Current distribution diagram confusion is common because it can be a complex concept to understand. It involves understanding the flow of electricity through a circuit and how it is divided among different components. Additionally, there may be multiple paths for the current to flow, making it difficult to visualize.

4. What are some common mistakes when interpreting a current distribution diagram?

Some common mistakes when interpreting a current distribution diagram include misinterpreting the direction of the current flow, not taking into account the division of current among different components, and not considering the effects of parallel and series circuits on current distribution.

5. How can I better understand current distribution diagrams?

To better understand current distribution diagrams, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic electrical concepts such as voltage, current, and resistance. Additionally, practicing with different circuit diagrams and understanding how changes in the circuit affect the current distribution can help improve understanding. Seeking clarification from a knowledgeable source, such as a teacher or mentor, can also be helpful.