Current flow in an MRI receive coil

In summary: What do you mean by stopping the current not going through BA but through DC to F?I don't understand what you are asking.
toreil
I am a physics student with very limited experience in electronics and I have been tasked with making an receive coil for use in an MRI machine. The design of an RF coil amounts to constructing to what essentially amounts to an LC resonator with a set resonance frequency. The design of my coil is somewhat similar to this http://web.stanford.edu/~jbarral/Coil_RcTx.jpg

Though I have a two capacitors in series between A and B rather than the single capacitor in this illustration. My question is, current cannot flow through a capacitor but if I connect a network analyser across E and F a signal passes through the circuit, how does that work? I am certain the answer is simple but I cannot find the answer. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I know practically nothing about designing MRI machines, but why do you think current cannot flow through a capacitor?
If you connect AC source to terminals E-F, current should flow through all capacitors in the schematic.

toreil said:
I am a physics student with very limited experience in electronics and I have been tasked with making an receive coil for use in an MRI machine. The design of an RF coil amounts to constructing to what essentially amounts to an LC resonator with a set resonance frequency. The design of my coil is somewhat similar to this http://web.stanford.edu/~jbarral/Coil_RcTx.jpg

Though I have a two capacitors in series between A and B rather than the single capacitor in this illustration. My question is, current cannot flow through a capacitor but if I connect a network analyser across E and F a signal passes through the circuit, how does that work? I am certain the answer is simple but I cannot find the answer. Thank you in advance.

DC current does not flow through an ideal capacitor. AC current most certainly does. :-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes STEMgradcubed
Hmm, maybe he meant current can't flow through the capacitor placed between points C-E while nothing is connected between E and F?

Ah thanks, I guess I should've seen that from the expression for the impedance of the capacitor, I had just assumed that because there was a physical barrier separating both legs that no current would flow but there must be some induction between the plates. Is there anything from stopping the current not going through BA but through DC to F?

toreil said:
Is there anything from stopping the current not going through BA but through DC to F?
I beg your pardon?

What is current flow in an MRI receive coil?

Current flow in an MRI receive coil refers to the electrical current that is induced in the coil when it is placed inside the magnetic field of an MRI machine. This current is generated by the changing magnetic field and is used to detect the signals from the patient's body.

How does current flow affect the image quality in an MRI?

Current flow in an MRI receive coil is essential for producing high-quality images. The strength and distribution of the current determine the sensitivity and resolution of the coil, which directly impacts the image quality. Proper current flow ensures a clear and accurate image.

What factors can affect current flow in an MRI receive coil?

Several factors can affect current flow in an MRI receive coil, including the number of turns in the coil, the size and shape of the coil, the material used, and the orientation of the coil in the magnetic field. These factors can be optimized to improve the performance of the coil.

How is current flow in an MRI receive coil measured?

Current flow in an MRI receive coil is measured using a technique called "coil sensitivity mapping." This involves placing a test object or phantom inside the MRI machine and recording the signals from the coil. The resulting data is used to generate a map of the current flow in the coil.

Can current flow in an MRI receive coil be manipulated to improve image quality?

Yes, current flow in an MRI receive coil can be manipulated to improve image quality. This can be achieved by adjusting the coil design, optimizing the coil orientation, or using advanced techniques such as parallel imaging. These methods can enhance the sensitivity and resolution of the coil, resulting in better image quality.