Calculating Current in a Series Circuit with an LED

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a series circuit with a 300ohm resistor and a 2V LED. The solution involves finding the current in the resistor and understanding the relationship between voltage and current in a series circuit. The final answer is that the current through the LED is 0.01A.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-02-04 at 11.54.34 AM.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if this is right, but I did this problem by finding the current in the 300ohm resistor by doing I=5V/300ohms = .0166A and since they are in series they have the same current. I don't think that is right though. The LED is 2V, so I'm not sure how to treat that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcin H said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 95288

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if this is right, but I did this problem by finding the current in the 300ohm resistor by doing I=5V/300ohms = .0166A and since they are in series they have the same current. I don't think that is right though. The LED is 2V, so I'm not sure how to treat that.

The voltage across the resistor is not 5 v. What type of circuit is this (series / parallel). What do you know about the voltage and current in that type of circuit?

Jake 7174 said:
The voltage across the resistor is not 5 v. What type of circuit is this (series / parallel). What do you know about the voltage and current in that type of circuit?
It's a series circuit right? In series current is the same throughout the circuit and voltage is different. For parallel voltage is the same and current is different.

Marcin H said:
It's a series circuit right? In series current is the same throughout the circuit and voltage is different. For parallel voltage is the same and current is different.
Right. What is the voltage across resistor then?

cnh1995 said:
Right. What is the voltage across resistor then?
Im not sure. Would it be 3V? Va-Vb?

Marcin H said:
Im not sure. Would it be 3V? Va-Vb?

Good, Now, What is the current through the resistor

Jake 7174 said:
Good, Now, What is the current through the resistor
.01A. So does that mean that .01A are flowing through the LED?

Marcin H said:
Yes.

Marcin H said:

In a series circuit is current constant?

Jake 7174 said:
In a series circuit is current constant?
Yes. same current, different voltage.

Marcin H said:
Yes. same current, different voltage.

There you go. Good job!

Jake 7174 said:
There you go. Good job!
Thanks!

FAQ: Calculating Current in a Series Circuit with an LED

1. What is an LED?

An LED, or light-emitting diode, is a semiconductor device that emits light when an electric current flows through it. It is a type of solid-state lighting that is commonly used in electronic devices, lighting fixtures, and displays.

2. How does current flow through an LED?

Current flows through an LED when a voltage is applied across its terminals. The voltage causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, passing through the LED's semiconductor material. This flow of electrons creates photons, which are the particles of light emitted by the LED.

3. What is the relationship between current and brightness in an LED?

The brightness of an LED is directly proportional to the current flowing through it. This means that as the current increases, the brightness of the LED will also increase. However, there is a limit to how much current an LED can handle before it becomes damaged, so it is important to use the appropriate amount of current for the specific LED being used.

4. Why is it important to limit the current flowing through an LED?

Limiting the current flowing through an LED is important for two reasons. First, as mentioned before, too much current can damage the LED. Second, LEDs have a lower forward voltage drop than other types of lighting, such as incandescent bulbs, meaning they require less voltage to operate. Therefore, using a resistor to limit the current helps prevent the LED from being overloaded with too much voltage.

5. How does the color of the LED affect the current flowing through it?

The color of an LED is determined by the material used in the semiconductor. Different materials produce different colors of light when an electric current flows through them. While the color of the LED does not directly affect the current flowing through it, different colored LEDs may have slightly different voltage and current requirements, so it is important to check the specifications of the LED before use.

Back