Current in Discharing Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express the current in a discharging capacitor and explores the equation I = dQ/dt. It also mentions the solution for Qd and the confusion regarding the derivative. It is suggested that the absolute value may be used for simplicity in determining the direction of current.
05holtel

Homework Statement

How do you express the current in a discharging capacitor.

I know that I = dQ/dt,

Qd = Q0e^(-t/RC)
I = d/dt (Q0e^(-t/RC))
= (Q/RC)e^(-t/RC)

I am confused because taking the derivative of Q0e^(-t/RC)) I think should be
(-Q/RC)e^(-t/RC) because the derivative of (-t/RC) is (-1/RC)

Which solution is correct
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't quote me on this but they may just be taking the absolute value for simplicity, since current can be taken as positive in one direction or negative to point in the other direction.

1. What is a discharging capacitor?

A discharging capacitor is a passive electronic component that stores and releases electrical energy. When fully charged, it can hold a certain amount of electric charge, and when connected to a circuit, it slowly releases the stored energy over time.

2. How does a capacitor discharge?

A capacitor discharges when it is connected to a circuit that allows current to flow from one of its plates to the other. This creates a flow of electrons, and as they move from one plate to the other, the capacitor's stored energy is gradually released.

3. What factors affect the rate of discharge in a capacitor?

The rate of discharge in a capacitor is affected by several factors, including the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance of the circuit it is connected to, and the voltage across the capacitor. A higher capacitance, lower resistance, and higher voltage will result in a faster discharge.

4. Can a discharging capacitor be dangerous?

In most cases, a discharging capacitor is not dangerous. However, if the capacitor is large and has a high voltage, it can release a significant amount of energy, which can be potentially dangerous. It is important to exercise caution when working with large capacitors to prevent electric shocks.

5. How can I calculate the rate of discharge in a capacitor?

The rate of discharge in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. This formula is known as the time constant and can be used to determine the discharge rate at any given time.