Time for a capacitor to discharge

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation using natural logarithms and the confusion over the correct format for the answer. ln(2/3)tau is marked incorrect, but the speaker believes it is correct. They are using WebAssign and do not know the answer, but believe they have solved it correctly. The required format for the answer is not clear, but the speaker suggests trying 1/3 instead of 2/3.
joeyjoey
Homework Statement
A capacitor with an initial charge q0 is discharged through a resistor. In terms of the time constant tau, how long is required for the capacitor to lose the first one-third of its charge?
Relevant Equations
Q(final) = Q(max)e^(-t/RC)
tau = RC
(I have no idea how to use Latex and I apologize)
I already how to properly set it up and execute the equation with natural log etc.

2/3q0 = q0e^(t/RC)
2/3 = e^(-t/tau)
ln(2/3) = -t/tau
t = -ln(2/3)tauThe problem should be trivial; however, -ln(2/3)tau is apparently incorrect. So is ln(3/2). Is there something I am missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you do here seems correct to me, what is the answer key again? Or you don't know it?

Likes hutchphd
Delta2 said:
What you do here seems correct to me, what is the answer key again? Or you don't know it?

I use WebAssign, which has marked it as incorrect. I do not know the answer, but I feel like what I did here is probably right.

joeyjoey said:
I use WebAssign, which has marked it as incorrect. I do not know the answer, but I feel like what I did here is probably right.
Is the required format perfectly clear? E.g. ln(3/2), ln(3/2)tau, ln(3/2)τ, -ln(2/3), 0.4τ, ...

haruspex said:
Is the required format perfectly clear? E.g. ln(3/2), ln(3/2)tau, ln(3/2)τ, -ln(2/3), 0.4τ, ...

1610254360164.png

this is how the question looks

joeyjoey said:
View attachment 275953

this is how the question looks
Hmm, ok.
Only other suggestion is to guess a confusion by the question setter and try 1/3 instead of 2/3.

haruspex said:
Hmm, ok.
Only other suggestion is to guess a confusion by the question setter and try 1/3 instead of 2/3.

ok. thank you for the help!

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor discharge?

A capacitor discharges when the stored electrical energy is released from one plate to the other, creating a flow of current. This process occurs when the circuit is completed and the capacitor is connected to a load.

3. What factors affect the time it takes for a capacitor to discharge?

The time it takes for a capacitor to discharge is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance of the circuit, and the voltage across the capacitor. A higher capacitance or lower resistance will result in a longer discharge time, while a higher voltage will result in a shorter discharge time.

4. How can I calculate the time for a capacitor to discharge?

The time for a capacitor to discharge can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula assumes a simple circuit with no other components.

5. Why is it important to know the time for a capacitor to discharge?

Knowing the time for a capacitor to discharge is important in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits. It can also be used to determine the energy storage capacity of a capacitor and to ensure safe handling of high voltage capacitors.