A capacitor of variable capacitance

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation i(t)=U/R*e^(-t/RC) and its relation to constant power and current. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed and mentions the possibility of using derivatives. They also question the validity of the equation in relation to U=IR.
A13235378
Homework Statement
A capacitor of variable capacitance is being discharged by a resistance R. It is known that the power dissipated by the resistance at any time t is constant and that the initial capacitance is worth Co. Determine the capacitance of the capacitor at time t.

Answer: C (t) = Co - t/R
Relevant Equations
U = RI
Using:

$$i(t)=\frac{U}{R}.e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}

As the power is constant, then the current will be constant, so:

t/RC is constant

I don't know how to proceed anymore. I think you should use some derivative, but I'm still very new to that part, so how can I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does $$i(t)=\frac{U}{R}.e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}$$ come from? If from your notes, you should define the variables and specify the circumstances in which it applies. It seems to contradict your other equation, U=IR.

Yes, the current must be constant, so what is the charge at time t?

1. What is a capacitor of variable capacitance?

A capacitor of variable capacitance is a type of capacitor that has the ability to change its capacitance, or the amount of charge it can store, depending on external factors such as voltage, temperature, or mechanical movement.

2. How does a capacitor of variable capacitance work?

A capacitor of variable capacitance works by using two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. As the distance between the plates changes, the capacitance also changes. This can be achieved through the use of a movable plate, a variable dielectric material, or by changing the surface area of the plates.

3. What are the applications of a capacitor of variable capacitance?

A capacitor of variable capacitance has various applications in electronic devices, such as in tuning circuits, filters, and sensors. It is also commonly used in radio frequency (RF) circuits, where it can be used to adjust the frequency of a signal.

4. What are the advantages of using a capacitor of variable capacitance?

The main advantage of using a capacitor of variable capacitance is its ability to adjust its capacitance, making it versatile and useful in a wide range of applications. It also has a smaller size compared to other types of variable capacitors, making it suitable for use in compact electronic devices.

5. How is a capacitor of variable capacitance different from a regular capacitor?

A capacitor of variable capacitance differs from a regular capacitor in that it has the ability to change its capacitance, while a regular capacitor has a fixed capacitance. Additionally, a capacitor of variable capacitance is typically more complex in design and can be more expensive than a regular capacitor.