Current through ammeter with two batteries

In summary, the current through ammeter A1 is 0.05 A, the current through ammeter A2 is 0.0125 A, and the potential difference across R2 is 0.5 V. Kirchhoff's rules were used to calculate the currents and Ohm's law was used to find the voltage across R2. The voltage across the 40 ohm resistor is 1.5 V and the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor is 0.5 V, as they are connected in parallel and have the same voltage.
moenste

Homework Statement

For the values shown in the figure below, calculate (a) the current through the ammeter A1, (b) the current through the ammeter A2, (c) the PD across R2.

242b0846387a.jpg

Assume that the internal resistance of each cell and the resistance of each ammeter is negligible.

Answers: (a) 0.05 A, (b) 0.0125 A, (c) 0.5 V

2. The attempt at a solution
(c) V = IR = 0.05 * 10 = 0.5 V

(a-b) We use Kirchhoff's rules: current flowing from E1 is I1, current entering R1 is I1 - I3 and current entering E2 is I3.

So we get 2 = 40 (I1 - I3) + 10 (1 - I3)
1.5 = - 40 (I1 - I3), minus since current is moving from left to right while we are moving in an anti-clockwise direction.

2 = 50 1 - 50 I3
1.5 = -40 I1 + 40 I3 (multiply by 1.25 and sum up)
3.875 = 0 which is uncorrect.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
By observing the circuit, what can you say about the voltage across the 40 ohm resistor? What will be the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor?

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
By observing the circuit, what can you say about the voltage across the 40 ohm resistor? What will be the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor?
Don't we need to find the current first? The voltage across the 10 Ω resistor is easily calculated when we know the current: (c) V = IR = 0.05 * 10 = 0.5 V, where I = 0.05 A is taken from the answers.

moenste said:
Don't we need to find the current first? The voltage across the 10 Ω resistor is easily calculated when we know the current

What component is connected directly across that resistor? What do you know about parallel-connected components?

Likes moenste and cnh1995
gneill said:
What component is connected directly across that resistor? What do you know about parallel-connected components?
Current is connected directly across the 10 Ohm resistor.

Parallel-connected components have the same voltage.

moenste said:
Right.
moenste said:
Current **Voltage source** is connected directly across the 10 Ohm resistor.
So what is the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor?

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
Right.

So what is the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor?
Are you implying that we can just 2 V - 1.5 V = 0.5 V? But it is in (c), so I guess we need to find current in (a-b) first.

moenste said:
Are you implying that we can just 2 V - 1.5 V = 0.5 V? But it is in (c), so I guess we need to find current in (a-b) first.
Sorry I misread the post. Actually, voltage source E2 is directly connected across the 40 ohm resistor.

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
Sorry I misread the post. Actually, voltage source E2 is directly connected across the 40 ohm resistor.
Since we have two batteries therefore we need to use Kirchhoff's rules, right?

Kirchhoff's rules always apply, so it's a pretty good bet they'll come in handy here!

Likes moenste
moenste said:
Since we have two batteries therefore we need to use Kirchhoff's rules, right?
The voltage source E2 is directly connected across the 40 ohm resistor. And you yourself said correctly that
moenste said:
What is the voltage across the 40 ohm resistor then?

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
The voltage source E2 is directly connected across the 40 ohm resistor. And you yourself said correctly that

What is the voltage across the 40 ohm resistor then?
Ah, now I got it what you imply. Since we have a battery E2 = 1.5 V, then V40 Ω = E2 = 1.5 V. We can then find (c) 2 - 1.5 = 0.5 V.

But how do we find the currents? I = V / R = 2 / (40 + 10) = 0.04 A, not 0.05 A.

moenste said:
Ah, now I got it what you imply. Since we have a battery E2 = 1.5 V, then V40 Ω = E2 = 1.5 V. We can then find (c) 2 - 1.5 = 0.5 V.
Right.
moenste said:
2 / (40 + 10) = 0.04 A, not 0.05 A.
Ohm's law gives I=V/R where I is the current through R and V is the voltage across R.

Likes moenste
cnh1995 said:
Right.

Ohm's law gives I=V/R where I is the current through R and V is the voltage across R.
We can use I = V / R for the R2 resistor. We'll get 0.5 / 10 = 0.05 A.

Then we find 1.5 / 40 = 0.0375 A. 0.05 - 0.0375 = 0.0125 A.

moenste said:
We can use I = V / R for the R2 resistor. We'll get 0.5 / 10 = 0.05 A.

Then we find 1.5 / 40 = 0.0375 A. 0.05 - 0.0375 = 0.0125 A.
Right.

Likes moenste

1. What is an ammeter?

An ammeter is a device used to measure electric current in a circuit. It is typically connected in series with the circuit and has a low resistance so that it does not affect the flow of current.

2. How does an ammeter measure current?

An ammeter measures current by sensing the magnetic field produced by the flow of electrons in a circuit. The more current flowing through the circuit, the stronger the magnetic field and the higher the reading on the ammeter.

3. Can an ammeter measure current through multiple batteries?

Yes, an ammeter can measure current through multiple batteries connected in a circuit. It will measure the total current flowing through the circuit, which is equal to the sum of the currents from each battery.

4. What happens if the ammeter is connected incorrectly?

If the ammeter is connected incorrectly, it can cause damage to the device or the circuit. It is important to follow the correct wiring instructions and to ensure that the ammeter is connected in series with the circuit.

5. How can the current through an ammeter with two batteries be calculated?

The current through an ammeter with two batteries can be calculated by dividing the total voltage of the batteries by the total resistance in the circuit. This can also be calculated by using Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance (I=V/R).