Current/Voltage/Resistance HELP

• Thread starter krugertown
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a 20cm long hollow nichrome tube with an inner diameter of 2.8mm and an outer diameter of 3.0mm, connected to a 3.0V battery. The problem was solved using the formula I=V/R, where R is calculated using the resistivity of nichrome and the length and area of the wire. However, there was an error made in using the diameter instead of the radius, resulting in the incorrect answer of 36.44A. The correct answer is 9.1A.
krugertown
a 20cm long hollow nichrome tube of inner diameter 2.8mm, outer diameter 3.0mm is connected to a 3.0V battery. What is the current in the tube?

I think this is a I = V/R problem. So i used R=([tex]\rho[/tex]*L)/A. Where L is the length of the wire and A is the outer area minus the inner area and rho is the resistivity of nichrome.

A =.003^2*[tex]\pi[/tex] - .0028^2*[tex]\pi[/tex] = 3.64*10^-6
R = ((1.5*10^-6) * (.02))/3.64*10^-6 = .0823
I = 3/.0823 = 36.44Amps

However the answer is 9.1A apparently. Where have i gone wrong?

Thanks!

btw if the greek symbols appear superscript they are not supposed to be I can't quite figure that part out

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a simple error, 3.0mm and 2.8mm are diameters, not radii.

Area is [tex] \pi r^2 [/tex]

haha thanks! spent 45 minutes on that problem!

1. What is current and how is it measured?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a material. It is measured in amperes (A) using a device called an ammeter.

2. How is voltage related to current and resistance?

Voltage is the force that pushes the electric charge through a circuit. It is directly related to current and resistance through Ohm's law, which states that V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

3. What is resistance and how does it affect current?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is affected by factors such as material type, length, and cross-sectional area. Higher resistance means less current can flow through a material.

4. How can I calculate the voltage, current, or resistance in a circuit?

To calculate voltage, use Ohm's law (V = IR) or use Kirchhoff's laws to analyze the circuit. To calculate current, rearrange Ohm's law to I = V/R. To calculate resistance, rearrange Ohm's law to R = V/I.

5. How can I increase or decrease current, voltage, or resistance in a circuit?

To increase or decrease current, you can change the voltage or resistance in a circuit. To increase voltage, add more cells or batteries in series. To decrease voltage, add resistors in series. To increase resistance, add resistors in series. To decrease resistance, add resistors in parallel.