Cyclic group generator problem

In summary, the homework statement states that a cyclic group, where ord(a) = n, generates <a> iff r and n are relatively prime. The attempt at a solution states that for any j, there exists an integer k such that (a^r)^k = a^j. The proof seems good, but I think you're probably making it a bit hard on yourself. This is what I did: if ord(a^r)=n, then <a^r> has n elements. But <a^r>\subseteq <a> and <a> also has n elements. This implies immediately that <a^r>=<a>. The other direction is proved similarly.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let <a> be a cyclic group, where ord(a) = n. Then a^r generates <a> iff r and n are relatively prime.

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, let n and r be relatively prime. Then ord(a^r) = n. We need to show that for some j, there exists an integer k such that (a^r)^k = a^j. Now, every power of a equals one of the powers in <a>. Hence, for any k, a^(rk) equals some a^p. By inspecting the proof of that fact, I concluded that the power rk+1, equals a^(p+1), if we keep all the factors obtained by the division algorithm the same, and only increase the remainder by 1 (I don't see why we couldn't do this). This way, we can generate every element of <a>, and hence a^r generates <a>.

Now, for the other direction, if a^r generates <a>, and if we show that ord(a^r) = n, then we are done, since r and n must be relatively prime then (I proved this fact in another exercise). We see that (a^r)^n = (a^n)^r = e. Now, assume there is some j < n such that (a^r)^j = e. But the, since a^r is a generator of <a>, <a> would have less than n elements, contrary to the starting assumption, hence the order of a^r equals n.

Physics news on Phys.org
All seems well! I just have a few comments:

radou said:
OK, let n and r be relatively prime. Then ord(a^r) = n.

How do you know this? Have you proven this in an earlier exercise?

We need to show that for some j, there exists an integer k such that (a^r)^k = a^j. Now, every power of a equals one of the powers in <a>. Hence, for any k, a^(rk) equals some a^p. By inspecting the proof of that fact, I concluded that the power rk+1, equals a^(p+1), if we keep all the factors obtained by the division algorithm the same, and only increase the remainder by 1 (I don't see why we couldn't do this). This way, we can generate every element of <a>, and hence a^r generates <a>.

The proof seems good, but I think you're probably making it a bit hard on yourself. This is what I did: if ord(a^r)=n, then <a^r> has n elements. But [tex]<a^r>\subseteq <a>[/tex] and <a> also has n elements. This implies immediately that <a^r>=<a>.

Now, for the other direction, if a^r generates <a>, and if we show that ord(a^r) = n, then we are done, since r and n must be relatively prime then (I proved this fact in another exercise). We see that (a^r)^n = (a^n)^r = e. Now, assume there is some j < n such that (a^r)^j = e. But the, since a^r is a generator of <a>, <a> would have less than n elements, contrary to the starting assumption, hence the order of a^r equals n.

This seems good!

micromass said:
How do you know this? Have you proven this in an earlier exercise?

Yes I have, I forgot to mention that!

micromass said:
The proof seems good, but I think you're probably making it a bit hard on yourself. This is what I did: if ord(a^r)=n, then <a^r> has n elements. But [tex]<a^r>\subseteq <a>[/tex] and <a> also has n elements. This implies immediately that <a^r>=<a>.

Actually, this is so obvious, you're right! It's a better way to prove it. Since (a^r)^k is a power of a, it must be one of the powers a^0, ... , a^(n-1). And this holds for any k. And because of the order, these powers must be distinct. Hence, our result is proven!

Btw, it just occurred to me that my "proof" wasn't quite valid. rk + 1 is not a factor of rk, right? And I'm only interested in powers of the form r(k+z) actually, where z is any integer.

radou said:
Btw, it just occurred to me that my "proof" wasn't quite valid. rk + 1 is not a factor of rk, right? And I'm only interested in powers of the form r(k+z) actually, where z is any integer.

To be honest, the proof wasn't very clear to me. So I interpreted it a bit and I thought you meant the right thing. But rk+1 is never a factor of rk, so it probably doesn't work...

I actually find working with cyclic groups to be quite annoying :biggrin: But luckily there's much more to algebra than cyclic things...

micromass said:
But luckily there's much more to algebra than cyclic things...

Well, I was definitely hoping for that! :wink:

Thanks!

Related to Cyclic group generator problem

What is a cyclic group generator?

A cyclic group generator is an element in a group that can generate all the other elements in the group through repeated multiplication.

What is the Cyclic group generator problem?

The Cyclic group generator problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a cyclic group generator in a given group.

Why is the Cyclic group generator problem important?

The Cyclic group generator problem is important in various fields such as cryptography, number theory, and computer science as it has applications in solving complex mathematical problems and in developing secure algorithms.

How is the Cyclic group generator problem solved?

The Cyclic group generator problem is solved by finding a primitive root in the group, which is an element that generates the entire group. This can be done through various algorithms such as the Pohlig-Hellman algorithm or the Shanks algorithm.

What are some real-life applications of the Cyclic group generator problem?

The Cyclic group generator problem has applications in cryptography, where it is used to generate keys for secure communication. It is also used in coding theory, where it is used to generate error-correcting codes. Furthermore, it has applications in signal processing and data compression.