1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cylindrical Capacitor

1. Oct 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey guys, My prof asked us to find the radius of a cylinder within a cylindrical capacitor with 2 radii a and b. I know we use the Capacitance formula for a cylinder but I cant seem to get pass the q that shows up when I plug it into the 1/2 c*V^2

EDIT: He wants us to find a cylinder's radius that contains half the stored electric potential energy.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I'm afraid you'll need to be a lot more specific than that. Can you give us the full question (word-for-word), plus all of the equations you used and all of the calculations you tried?

4. Oct 16, 2009 #3
    Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to add something. He wants us to find a cylinder's radius that contains half the stored electric potential energy.

Yea theres a picture he showed us, a long cylindrical capacitor. The picture shows a cross section of the cylinder. The smaller cylinder within the bigger one has a radius a and the bigger one has a radius b. The radius of an arbitrary cylindrical Gaussian surface between a and b is r.

I tried to use C= 2pi E0 (L/ ln(b/a)) for the capacitance and use it with both forms of Electric Potential energy equation(q^2/r and 1/2cV^2). But I get stuck on the charge q variable. and I even tried to use the Integral used to derive Elec. Potent. Eng. but I cant really figure that out what to do with that.

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4
    Even though the homework assignment passed, I would still like an answer to this. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook