Cylindrical electromagnetic cavity.

In summary, a cylindrical electromagnetic cavity is a metallic structure used to contain and manipulate electromagnetic fields. It works by trapping and resonating electromagnetic waves, creating a strong and uniform field. It has various applications in research and industry, and its advantages include precise control and cost-effectiveness. However, it also has limitations in terms of the types of fields and particles it can produce and contain.
miew

Homework Statement

A cylindrical electromagnetic cavity 4.8cm in diameter and 7.3 cm long is oscillating.

a) Assume that, for points on the axis of the cavity Em=13kV/m. The frequency of oscillation is 2.4 GHz.
For such axial points, what is the maximun rate (dE/dt)m, at which E changes?

b) Assume that the average value of (dE/dt)m for all points over a cross section of the cavity, is one-half the value found above for axial points. On this assumption, what is the maximum value of B at the cylindrical surface of the cavity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a), which is 1.96 *10^14 V/ms

This is what I did for b): (dE/dt)cavity =1/2 (dE/dt)m = 9.8 10^13 V/ms.
So Ecav= 9.8 10^13/(2pi 2.4 10^9) = 6.5 10^3.

So Bm=Em/c = 2.16 10^-5. This is wrong but I don't know what else to do.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would like to help you with your questions.

For part a), you are correct in calculating the maximum rate of change of E, which is 1.96*10^14 V/ms. This value represents the maximum electric field strength, which is changing at the fastest rate at points on the axis of the cavity.

For part b), you are correct in assuming that the average value of (dE/dt)m for all points over a cross section of the cavity is one-half the value found for axial points. However, in order to calculate the maximum value of B at the cylindrical surface of the cavity, we need to use the equation B = (μ0/μr)H, where μ0 is the permeability of free space and μr is the relative permeability of the medium (in this case, air). In order to find the maximum value of B, we need to find the maximum value of H.

To find the maximum value of H, we can use the equation H = E/η, where η is the intrinsic impedance of the medium. In free space, η = √(μ0/ε0) = 377 Ω. Therefore, H = Em/η = 13*10^3/377 = 34.5 A/m.

Now, we can calculate the maximum value of B using the equation B = (μ0/μr)H = (4π*10^-7/1)(34.5) = 4.33*10^-6 T.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a cylindrical electromagnetic cavity?

A cylindrical electromagnetic cavity is a hollow metallic structure with conducting walls that is used to contain and manipulate electromagnetic fields. It is typically made of a highly conductive material, such as copper or aluminum, and has a cylindrical shape with a closed end and an open end.

How does a cylindrical electromagnetic cavity work?

A cylindrical electromagnetic cavity works by trapping and resonating electromagnetic waves within its walls. When an electromagnetic wave enters the cavity, it bounces back and forth between the walls, creating a standing wave pattern. This results in a strong and uniform electromagnetic field within the cavity.

What are the applications of a cylindrical electromagnetic cavity?

Cylindrical electromagnetic cavities have a wide range of applications, including in research and industrial settings. They are commonly used in particle accelerators, where they help to accelerate and focus charged particles. They are also used in microwave ovens, radar systems, and medical imaging devices.

What are the advantages of using a cylindrical electromagnetic cavity?

One of the main advantages of a cylindrical electromagnetic cavity is its ability to create a strong and uniform electromagnetic field. This makes it useful for a variety of applications that require precise control and manipulation of electromagnetic fields. Additionally, cylindrical cavities are relatively simple and cost-effective to construct.

Are there any limitations to using a cylindrical electromagnetic cavity?

While cylindrical electromagnetic cavities have many advantages, they also have some limitations. For example, the shape of the cavity can limit the types of electromagnetic fields that can be produced. Additionally, the size and dimensions of the cavity may also restrict the types of particles or waves that can be contained within it.